Thread: Windows ME Issues

Windows ME Issues

I have a user using Windows ME and she is getting Errors (You do not have permission to access this drive) when trying to access a mapped drive at random times. A reboot usually fixes the problem, but I was wondering why this could be happening. The mapped drive is a folder on a Win 2k Adv. Server. She is logging into the domain and everything seems to work for a while, but then she gets disconnected and cannot connect. The permissions on the file are correctly set and I am going crazy tring to fix this. Does anyone have any ideas?
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

this might not help. but i think its to do with the 2k server because at our school, everyday (after server was shut off and turned back on the next day) all our mapped drives needed to be remapped even though it was at the same path. but once they were mapped they wouldnt disconnect after you mapped them.

maybe the server is having problems.

(ME has serious problems through out its whole system. 2k isnt any better)

[edit] when you say at random, if that means that she doenst use it for extended times, it may be that the server disconnects her after a timeout. also, another peer maybe accessing the same mapped drive and disconnecting her (which shouldnt be happening [edit/]
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

when you say at random, if that means that she doenst use it for extended times, it may be that the server disconnects her after a timeout. also, another peer maybe accessing the same mapped drive and disconnecting her (which shouldnt be happening)
    I think he is on the right track. I also think that that could be an authentication issue.
    You can check server secuity audit logs to confirm this.

Instead of rebooting... you can probably log off and back on to get reauthenticated.
    Its just a little faster than rebooting.

Trust_Not_123:

but i think its to do with the 2k server because at our school, everyday (after server was shut off and turned back on the next day) all our mapped drives needed to be remapped even though it was at the same path. but once they were mapped they wouldnt disconnect after you mapped them.
    Are you using logon scripts? If not, you may want to look into it. Much easier than manually mapping evertime there is a server reboot.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

It is most of the time when she has not used it overnight. Why would the server be disconnecting her though?

MS Offers this solution: http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;138365& but has anyone had this issue before I go editing the registry?
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

It is most of the time when she has not used it overnight. Why would the server be disconnecting her though?
    If you have her account setup so she can only access the network at certain times... it will log her off. To fix that, either make sure she logs off the network at the end of the day, or extend her login times. Though, letting users stay logged in over night can be a big security risk. You should make sure that there is some way that she is locking her computer. Even if it is a windows screen saver password.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

She is allowed to login anytime during the day and night. And I am not using login scripts.

ok, you might want to look into login scripts because then there is more than likely an authenticity problem with the server cutting her off after a certain amount of time.

yes phishphreek80 our school does use logon scripts, but half the time they hang and people just close them and continue using the comp. it hangs because it finding all the mapped drives.

i offered the newtwork admin my skills buy he was too stuck up himself. also, i think they are hanging because the mapped drives are all virtual drives and not actul hardware. anyways
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

CXGJarrod:

Check out this.

Looks like this is a good possibility.

Thanks for all of your help. I will try these solutions and see if they work.

check this out

hey as all say this may the problem in win2000 server

just update it with the recent srvice pack 4 and also apply the possible ME updates and then check the network and possibly it may correct the error.

also check with the policies in win2000 server some times it may disable the logging in

waiting

dd