Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am Having Serious Web site problems

Unhappy I am Having Serious Web site problems

Ok, i made this webpage in frontpage, it has main page, top banner and a left banner, and after all the linking was done. i tested them all by ctrl+clicking on the link to follow it. it opened up where it should, in the main window.

but when i published it, and followed the links through on the webpage, instead of it opening to the main page, it opened up in the left banner.

how do i solve this??

i added the webpage for all to see, and have a look at. if you really need to you can fiddle with it. i stripped all the colour and background ect so dont expect much on looks.

thanks again,

TN123
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

Arrow bog

Hi Trust_Not_123,

If you are using version 2000,

on normal mode

select(highlight) the link on the left bar, and then click on the hyperlink button on your standard toolbar.At the bottom of edit hyperlink dialog box, next to the target frame, click the button with the pencil picture, another dialog box will open.Under the target setting, type the word main.That's all to it!

Also Check if the server you upload to supports
    front page 2000

Helpful links, which can be interesting for the beginners :

http://www.et.byu.edu/frontpage/

http://www.intranetjournal.com/artic.../fp_index.html

http://www.unr.edu/edtech/fp/fptut_home.html

http://www.utexas.edu/cc/training/ha...page2000gs.htm

Hope it helps

Dr_Evil

Don't use frontpage, please don't. There are already to many sinners out there. Just do drugs instead. Or you could check out www.w3schools.com to learn how to CODE, instead of dragging that freakin image to its place.

Greetz & Respect.
    Bleh.

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    I agree with SickDwarf, Frontpage puts all kinds of bullshit in the code that isn't needed. I would suggest just taking the time to learn HTML and any other coding you need to do it. You can goto the HTML Tag List and see working examples of every HTML tag, and learn how to do it without using frontpage. Once you learn HTML it is easier and less painful then using any type of editor. If you want some type of program to help you with your coding get 1st Page from ervsoft. Its free and its a great HTML editor. Good luck.

xmaddness

thanks guys, i'll take all this for consideration. Dr_evil, i am running XP os and office,

and just for the record. i knew that frontpage was the worst way to go. i was just too tired and couldnt be bothered doing anything hard. besides, it only takes me 5 minutes to do a webpage using frontpage.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

Hi Trust. I think I've found your problem. I've attached a revised top banner.htm for you. NOTE. AO won't let me upload .htm files... rename the attached .txt with a .htm extension. It should work. briefly though... on line 9 of your html you typed

<base target="contents">

it should be

<base target="main">

seems to work on my system so try it.

hope this helps.

Z

PS... as with everyone else PLEASE get rid of frontpage... I know it's quick but it really is a pile of rats arse

EDIT... whoops... just read Dr Evil's post a bit closer.... he's already told you what to do. Sorry all
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

thanks zonewalker i'll check it out
    ----Homer J Simpson----

Trust_Not_123,

The problem was that your html code was wrong edited (i don't know why the program did this) for example in this file:

[Downloads]

(for any of the links) insted of: ([Home]
    [Contact Us]
    [Downloads]
    [Links] <u>Page

Just in case, here you have your website with the links fixed.

Good luck with your new website!!!

Bye.

I am with Sick and Xmadness here Frontpage well since you have XP it is the lite version. Coding straight html is not all that diffcult nor is learning framesets sit down and in one week you will have enough basics to out do Frontpage lite and you will not have to deal with all the auto stuff it does (and it's never right). Unless you use what is it M$ webpage publisher or what ever they call it the links and all of it will always be assumed (remember what assume means LOL) it is local. Often faster to learn html then correct the garbage Frontpage puts in the coding that is nothing more then meta tags to promote M$ products.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Banned
    tru dat, FrontPage sux.
    i donno what u guys think of DreamWeaver but i think it's alright. i use it because i don know how to code 100% and it color codes my stuff which notepad wont do.