Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: IP Taceing

Exclamation IP Taceing

Dear AO members,

i am recieving threats from some person who says he is a friend of a friend of a friend of mine, and that he is paying me back a favour. but i have no idea what he is talking about. he rambles on about virus's and then stabbings ect. this all goes on through messenger, but i have him blocked from both messenger and email.

is there any programs that i can get an ip trace through messenger and pick up some info on his location or anything. just so i know where abouts he is. and is there anything else that i can use to get some information on this person?

plz help

TN123

[edit] i looked at similar threads but they seem to be knowing the ip address and using it just through windows. this needs to be done through messenger and i dont know the ip address [edit/]
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

There are many trace programs available on the internet, and some plot the location on a map to make it easier (eg; Neotrace). However, there is no program to my knowledge that would narrow it down to a specific town/street address. Try some basic social engineering, who knows - he sounds like a deranged script kiddie, hes bound to screw up somewhere.

As for getting IP's through MSN, i believe there are numerous cracks/bugs/exploits/whatever's available. Just search on google. or perhaps even this site.

Cheers,

Zenith.

thanks, i will look around
    ----Homer J Simpson----

Antionline Herpetologist
    If you can initiate a file transfer to him, you can get his IP using the command netstat -an.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

wouldnt a connection be opened between the two if they were chatting on messenger anyway? you wouldnt necessarily have to do a file transfer, just simply keep talking to the guy... then do a netstat -a, i thought that would have worked... i may be wrong....I have seen it done in ICQ but not messenger....

To get a aim members ip address you have to initiate a direct file transfer with them because it seems like aim uses some sort of proxy while just having a normal chat session.

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man
    Are you getting these threats via email? Messanger? Its probley some borde kid as Zenith put it. But if it is someone you know, you wanna find out. People are strange beings, with even stranger motives. If you get the threats via email, check the header for information. Or even paste the email here, for us to look at. Perhaps the email address is from a local ISP, that would indicate a higher possibility that it was someone you know. More information could be checking to see if the messages are coming from an AOL account. There, with a little social engineering CAN get you a name and an address.

But more than likely, its some kid. Update your virus definitions, go through your MSCONFIG start up utility. Find out what ports are [LISTENING]. You can even find a registry scanner @ google.
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2

zip2dip

Post IP-Trace

If you are an Windows based system user.Then yes NEtstat-a should give you an indication of the persons connection IP depending if is not run true cache server or Proxy.If that happends then your ISP ip will be only shown.If that is an MSN messenger then it will only show MSN's DNS Proxy.If you want the source IP for that person then you have to get access to an Full Routing table that shows you where his Connection is sending packets from.If you dont have an software on your system allready installed.That shows your netstat info in more clear,there is several software programs that are out there.One that is very useful in many cases that uses an GUI.Then try an software called AAtools.Which you can find at
    www.glocksoft.com/aatools.htm
    It also checks many other things for you that are usefull.Type Email,Proxys,etc.etc..
    Have fun.....

If you have a firewall set up and you're on dial up, and he's just a script kiddie, I wouldn't worry about him hurting you. Even if you're just on AOL without a firewall, you're safe behind AOL's proxies and he can't find out your IP address (if it is possible, then its surely not easy for him).

And if he's threatening you, his ISP might care. If you do happen to find his IP address, drop his ISP a note with his IP, the time he was threatening you and maybe an e-mail he sent you (complete with headers).
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

i'm not really worried about him hurting me. and dr toker, i'm not sure if i directly no this person, how ever, it must be someone who know me and is leaking information to this person. he knows my name and address and all that "personal" information. i just want to know who it is.

i have tried netstat with someone and a dcc chat over irc, and i have pin pionted their ip address (home or isp i dont know) and i have another program that does the same and more. its called ip tools.

thanks for your input guys,

duely appreciated
    ----Homer J Simpson----