using the "F" word
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: using the "F" word

Old Fart

using the "F" word

Straight up...I like the AP system...it has a purpose and fills it quite nicely. My problem is the language that some of the members choose in the comments. As an example...

Let's see....shut the **** up man. Do you think ur respected or some all-knowing god? your about as respected as the dumbass who posted and/or knowledgesponge. damn, stop acting like ur smarter than you are. honestly
    Now I'm all for freedom of speech...but I'm also a big supporter of manners and eloquent communication skills...and using the "F" word definitely is NOT eloquent. While I realize that it has become a part of our language and culture, that doesn't excuse using it in the manner evidenced above. The negs really don't bother me....it's the degrading language that some of our less tactful members use to get their "point" ( or lack thereof) across.

To cut to the chase, it would be nice to see an algorithym that picks up on blatent use of insulting and derogatory terms and deducts AP's from the kiddiot who sends them. Maybe one that detects a pattern and after a certain number of occurances smacks down the offender and teaches him (or her, though the females I've met here impress me as being above such things) that you should show a modicum of respect for your fellow members. No, I'm not advocating censorship, just appealing for a method that would make a portion of AO a lot less abusive. Food for thought...
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

I think we are all mature enough here to handle the word "****". I believe it's ok to use it when used tastfully. Flames like the one above isn't tastful...i've gotten some of those as well. But I don't think there is much we can do. I think we should leave the AO points the way they are and the people who choose to use the word distastfully will be weeded out eventually by the system.

I just wish they would give a reason along with the flame when giving a neg...how are we suppose to know what we did that made them give us the point?

Well lets see.. is it possible.. yup.. it is..

Most PhP boards (like phpbb etc) have posibilities to filter words and swap them.. But I don't realy see the necessity..

the list for you would be:

**** -> "F" word

then I'd like to add to the word mangle list...

skriptkiddie -> lamer
    hacker -> wannabie
    damn -> curse

and some more...

but I don't realy see the point in banning words..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Really, i agree with you allen.
    It's really bad, who would know better than me ?
    I know some senior member who has gone rotten on me, even though he/she makes an excuse when giving me a neg, i dont like when there's a straight drift of -30 points, those are hard-earned.
    So the problem is only with new ones, or the ones who've got new status with their AP's or posts. This is a problem, i was thinking recently on it, and i agree with you fully.

Maybe some code be added to the AP system would be a good choice after all.

Edit : Jinx, well maybe not banning the words, just the people who use them.

\"I have a 386 Pentium.\"

Old Fart
    To clarify, I'm not advocating totally abolishing the word(s), just punishing those who consistently use them in a derogatory manner. The AP comments SHOULD be used for critical commentary that is relevent to the post, not to carry out a vendetta of offensive insults and demeaning remarks. The "F" words...there is one that degrades homosexuals also, along with several others as suggested by the_JinX for example. Sorry if some don't agree with me, but I honestly feel that AO could and should rise above such crude behaviour.

/me breaks out his asbestos underoos and gets ready to take the heat...
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

What about a normal words to curse count..

Like a balance scale..

100 : 1
    normal:curse

then when people get close to "Too Many Bad Words" they get a warning

Karma warning
    You have been cursing way too much..
    use more normal words to balance your karma
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

ok, we are not discusing AP system as point
    but we are talken about the coments attached with the colored dot

as for me , i'm got used to that F statments coupled with other nice names, for me and mother and the whole family.

but i don't give a dmn $*1t, i don't listen to stupid AOers.
    i get neged by good Members, they usualy leave me a good coment with a red dot.
    but at least they show why is that red dot for,
    and i do the same, most of members who got neged by me, they get a clarification for that.
    sure, no bad names with that.
    coz as i always say, repect is a base of good relation and friendship.
    even a cyber relation.

so i say, forget about that F coments, as if they are not there
    When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power, the world will know peace... Jimi Hendrix
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask...... what was war?

I agree with you allenb there is no need to be rude to people.I think the problem is that a lot of people dont know how to use the antipoint system properly.I my-self have only recieved a small portion of abusive negs they usually come with a grey dot but on one or two ocasions i have had the ocasional neg with thinks like **** YOU *******!!!! stupid things like that come on is that the way the antipoint system is to be used ?.But shown in the past people who give out abusive comments in negs will eventually be banned for abusing the system so before you give out negs with silly insulting comments take a second to think about what could happen and is it really worth getting banned over

Meh.
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

Banned
    just a thought...
    if you try to "edit" words or asign some wort of point systems you might find some difficulties in coding.
    for example how many of you here alone have used the word "****" . If there was any sort of system in place i'd just have been "punished" for cursin' and so would many of you.
    i like the idea of someone getting in trouble for using the word in the incorrect manner but this can't be done by any script as comps aren't as intellegent as pplz (when it cose to these sorta things)

just my opinion guys.

well i don't really agree with any sensorship, it's everybodies constitutional right to be as ignorant as they choose to be. if they want to use lowbrow phrases, let them.

alternitively, how about a script that changes words. we could put "i eat" before all occurences of "****", and so on. i think the problem would solve itself then
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one