Thread: problems with hotmail

problems with hotmail

I've got a mate whose pc wont let him access his hotmail, in fact it wont log in to any hotmail account, he's running win98 se. when he tries to log in it waits a long time and then says this page cannot be displayed. The cookies are fine and i don't really no where else to look, any help would be appreciated,

cheers

So, you say you cannot log into hotmail? Can you be more specific? You go to hotmail.com, enter in your user name and password, click enter and at that point it just hangs?

Old Fart
    check the link below...

http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105-979303.html

To summarize, Hotmail broke and M$ doesn't have a clue as to how it happened. It's back up for most people, but there are still a few who are experiencing issues.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

security setting

ShippMA,

This might help..

On your browser

Click on tools, option,

Click on the security tab,

and then click on the Default button.

A mate of mine had the same problem, he accidently set the security level too high.

Good luck

Dr_Evil

Banned
    It could also be your firewall which won't allow connection to the Hotmail server.

Also, the server could have down time like the above link.

Or, your "mates" web connection is down/slow as hell and that the main page is in his temp files/cache and the browser takes the cached page, loads it, then tried to connect to the net after login info is submitted

Hope that helps....

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    It is unlikely that a firewall admin would block outbound web traffic so I don't think that is your issue. However, I have seen LOCAL firewall software cause issues. Does he have any local firewall software installed? (Zone Alarm, My Tiny Firewall, etc.)

The security settings in IE is a very good place to check for problems too. I know that you can lock yourself out of AOL by having the security setting bumped up too high. A good indicator would be to look for the red circle with a white horizontal line through it on the bottom of the browser window when you try to hit the hotmail site.

Let's eliminate these things first, then we can move on to see what else may be causing it.

if hes a AOL user then its because AOl /Microsoft messed up.

AOl users could not access msn/hotmail/messager and other sites,
    If he anit an AOl user then try

empty cookies
    internet temp files
    check firewalls settings
    \"it is better to stay silent and appear stupid then to speak and remove all doubt\"

Question Same problem...

OK guys/gals. I'm having this same issue too. I've worked through each of the suggested fixes, but to no avail.

I include, in this post, a message I get when I try to connect. What I get is:

The page cannot be displayed

There is a problem with a program on the page you are trying to reach, and the page cannot be displayed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Please try the following:

Open the ninemsn.com.au home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
    Click the Refresh button, or try again later.

HTTP 403.1 Forbidden: Execute Access Forbidden
    Internet Information Services

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Technical Information (for support personnel)

Background:

You have attempted to execute a CGI, ISAPI, or other executable program from a directory that does not allow programs to be executed.

More information:

Microsoft Support

Does anyone have any further suggestions with this in mind?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

D.
    [gloworange]Athlon XP 2100+ 1.74GHz
    512MB PC2100 DDR-SD RAM
    RADEON 9600XT 256MB[/gloworange]