Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How do they do it?

Question How do they do it?

I'm completely new to this set of mind, and I tried reading a tutorial by someone called Revelation and got completely lost.
    So I figured I'd ask you guys.
    Exactly how does a hacker get into a computer like mine?
    Is it like how we see it in the movies like Hackers or SwordFish?
    Is it just a push of a few magic buttons and tada?
    And information would help me understand.

Thanks
    Teach me what you know, I want to learn it all...

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    An attack can come many ways. E-mail, remote, locally, infected floppies, downloads, etc etc...

As for actual attacks, firewalls are fine and dandy, but not full proof. There are many ways to get thru, disable, take down, and crash firewalls. The key word in defending your box is frequent updates to both the firewall and the AV software. Now, in a firewall you will want to "stealth" your ports. This basicly means that when a person pings you, they will not get a response from your machine. But, you can still be DoS'd regardless. The packets will still be reaching your machine, your machine just won't send a responce. Firewalls are good, but are pointless if you allow every connection. There are many vulnerabilities in many everyday programs. For instance if you have an old version of winamp 2, and allow an outgoing connection from winamp's browser, you just opened a window for a hacker. Upgrade to 3 and you've closed it. Just about every program out there that makes a connection to the internet, can be exploited. This is the reason for different versions of software. In winamp 3, they have fixed the previous bug. Hence why constant updates are a priority. So, Every program you have connected is a window a hacker can try and enter. These commonly include IE, AIM, YIM, Kazaa, etc...

Well, I hope that helped clear up some stuff for you.

Banned
    Wow! There's a question.

Well, it actually quite a mouthful.

The first step usually intells someone getting your IP address (ie: 216.234.23.9) and trying to connect to your computer to view your ports.

How do they get your IP?
    Well there's programs like ICQ or mIRC that gives that info away in chat sessions.
    There are also people who IP Scan (using a program that searching a range of IPs for a running machine - useful on networks with set IP)
    As well as other means (google: keyword "find ip", "locate ip", "find target")

What are ports?
    Ports are on your computer for "services" that are run.
    The ports "hackers" use are virtual, as in they don't physically exist.
    Examples of "services" ports run are like port 80 for http connection (internet) or 25 for smtp (e-mail)
    What hackers do is scan those ports and find which are open and try to compremise them with known vulnerabilities. (google: "windows9x vulnerabilities", "linux vulnerabilities")

What's a vulnerability?
    It's a programming error or a flaw in the code.
    What happens is that a hacker does something with the service which is not intended to do and when it runs the "problem" the vulnerability will either crash your computer or open it up for access.

There's also Trojans!
    Trojans are computer programs that makes a connection from your computer to someone elses. Usually, these are transfered by e-mail or chat apps like ICQ or Messengers. Someone runs it (not knowing what it is) and then it opens up your computer ports (usually above 2000 me think) to connections by other persons. Popular trojans are NetBus, Sub7 and BackOrifice.

What about NetBios.
    While this isn't really a hack, it can give out information the attacker needs.
    When you enable file&printer sharing it allows others to connect to your computer and view/copy your files to your select shared files (*depending on security mesures in place)
    If you have a password file or something saved in that directory, the snooper can see it and use your accounts.

There are other things too, programs and such, but others here can give you move info about it. Also check sites like hackers.com and hackersplayground.org (while it might be a little much/confusing on information, it is sites like this that will give some light)

Also check this sites tutorials and forums for such topics. If there's something that confuses you about the topic, Prvate Message the author for more explinations

Hope this helps!

Computers are broken into by a variety of ways. To name some of the most common methods:

1. The services running on your machine. Services running can open ports which makes you vulnerable to being attacked.
    2. Viruses can infect your machine and cause malicious damage. And Trojans (usually destributed by email) can actually open connections to a hackers computer, or open ports allowing a hacker to compromise your PC.
    3. hackers can also exploit buggy vulnerabilities in OS's or software. Thats it why it is important to obtain the lastest bugfixes and security patches for your software and OS's.

A Personal Firewall and some good AntiVirus software is highly recommended for the adequate protection for the average home user.

Hope that this sheds a little light.
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

PC Girl check some good security/computer sites like www.packetstormsecurity.org www.antionline.com www.safehack.com and generally just do a search for it on www.google.com info on the topic can be found just about anywhere. join some chans on the topic on IRC i always found that a good way to learn

www.attrition.org
    www.slashdot.org
    www.w00w00.org
    www.wiretrip.net/rfp

they are all good and they all provide informations relative to security in some form or another there are many many more aswell
    Just because you don\'t see it doesn\'t mean it\'s not there

Hey guys, thanks for the information.
    I'll check out those sites and read some of the suggested readings. I guess there's no straight answer to it, is there? At least it isn't that easy for anyone to learn, right?
    Teach me what you know, I want to learn it all...

learn an operating system first inside and out then go onto programming etc and more advanced stuff there are a few threads about where to start for beginners .. just do a quick search .. good luck

Well I just want to add my two cents here, not by technical, but all good advice isn't always technical . Anyway, I do happen to know that Revelation has written some text files a few years back. I haven't seen any up to date information written by him, so just to point out reading out dated guides and tutorials isn't really going to help you, if you're not looking to read up on the history of hacking, and what was useful back then. The best way to really learn is to pick up a copy of Hacking Exposed (http://www.hackingexposed.com) or some security book like Security Complete (http://www.sybex.com) and read it to a point where you have a pretty firm grip on what you're doing. Then, you'd be sure to know what is enough to keep the negative things out, like worms and hackers.

Regards,
    Silentstalker
    -{[ Joe ]}- (Joe@nitesecurity.com)
    http://www.nitesecurity.com

[shadow]I\'m Just A Soldier In This War Against Ignorance.[/shadow]

reading old hacking/computer stories i find is good for motivation tho. dont count out the old heh

btw, Any of u guys can hack a system in just 60 sec while there's a girl beneath u like in "swordfish"?