Thread: Network config question

Elite Hacker

Network config question

see picture at home.satx.rr.com/bbeaullieus
    my problem is that only the computers behind the same router are able to be on the same network. My question is how do I get it to where each computer is able to be in the same network?

This Might Help

Tom's Hardware did an article on this awhile back. Check it out

http://www.tomshardware.com/network/20030716/index.html
    Risk everything, or gain nothing.

h3r3tic,

What would you like to accomplish? I can help you if you give me specifics.

To answer your question, no, a router logically sperates networks. Each arm on any router has to be configured for a differnt subnet.

I saw your diagram, tell me what youwant to accomplish and I think I can help you..

Cheers

P.S
    Also, are your linux and win98se PCs going to a hub or switch or are they as you drew them to be, each going to a separate interface on router

I don't understand what the second router is there for...... unless it's just for you to experiment at home. My recomendtion would be to just go with the standard router on a stick configuration.
    I hate this place, nothing works here, I\'ve been here for 7 years, the medication does\'nt work...

You need to connect the two routers with a crossover cable.

More advice from Google

you could also just replace router2 with a switch or hub

Elite Hacker
    Thanks everyone, especially Eversor. That site was exactly what I wanted.

Couple of options you have to achieve what you want:

1 Set router 2 up so that it doesn't do address translation. Make router 2 work as a hub/switch only.

or

2 remove router 2 and plug everything into router 1

It all depends on what your aim is. I dont understand why you would want to put router 2 where it is. It adds additional costs to your network without adding benefits that I can think of, given that you want all the computers to be on the same segment.

If you don't have enough ports for all the systems to connect to then a hub/ switch would be a cheper alternative. If you want to secure the network on router 1 then allowing them to be on the same network defeats that purpose if you dont add any other protection in.