Thread: SSL question

SSL question

how about the ssl setting on apache?.. i running the RH8.0...
    Lord Xavier,
    Cyberdelia Technologies,
    (Wholly owned by Cyberdelia Group).

A little more detail, cowboy.....

Re: SSL question

Originally posted here by Lord Xavier
    how about the ssl setting on apache?.. i running the RH8.0...
    Yep.
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

SSL on apache

What is it that you want to know Lord Xavier? Are you looking for general/specific information on SSL or do you want to know how to implement it on Apache? If you would like to know how to implement it on Apache, I would suggest checking out the Apache Site. Let us know more detail and we will try and help. Also, remember that you can do a search here on AO on the homepage, or there's always the great Google .

t2k2

Edit: Remember that SSL is not a replacement for keeping servers patched against vulnerabilities. It only secures information in transit across the net, but not on the servers themselves.
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

well, i wan to know how the setting on apache? coz now i use the Abria lancelot apache server which give the OpenSSL... in the httpd.conf there have a setting for OpenSSL but i dont know how to implement to the webpage that i wan to secure.

and one more about the virtual host that we could create in the apache server. i had read the instruction in the apache documentation and in the apache website but still dont understand it. i wan to know about the concept. i anyone can gave me some example about the setting in the httpd.conf... TQ
    Lord Xavier,
    Cyberdelia Technologies,

Not really sure what the 'Abria lancelot apache' is, but you have to make sure that the version of apache you are running supports SSL. As far as I know, there are two different code branches for this, modssl and ApacheSSL. It has been my experience in the past that it was easier/faster to get modssl up and running and I usually stick to it. You can get/will need the following:

Apache: www.apache.org
    ModSSL: www.modssl.org
    OpenSSL: www.openssl.org

You need to pay particular attention to the version numbers on the apache site and make sure that it is supported by the modssl site (they almost always are, but still need to watch).

To get started, unzip and untar those groups of source code from the same dir (this will leave you with three directories apache-x-xxx, modssl-x-x-x-x, and openssl-0.9xx).

configure and install openssl first
    go to the mod_ssl source tree, pass the directory where apache source tree is (../apache-xxx), openssl source tree (../openssl-0.9xxx), and any configuration options that you want to pass to apache (such as prefix for installation directory, or any mods you want to install). Type './configure --help' and cat INSTALL from the modssl directory and it will give you this information and more options.

After you do the configure, just follow the instructions it gives you and you will soon be mostly done. Then to require SSL for a page/directory, in the <Directory> or virtual host definition, you would just need to put a 'SSLRequiresSSL' directive there to require the SSL connection.

Hope this at least gets you started.

/nebulus
    There is only one constant, one universal, it is the only real truth: causality. Action. Reaction. Cause and effect...There is no escape from it, we are forever slaves to it. Our only hope, our only peace is to understand it, to understand the 'why'. 'Why' is what separates us from them, you from me. 'Why' is the only real social power, without it you are powerless.

(Merovingian - Matrix Reloaded)

well, the abria lancelot server are the apache server that running on win. the server give openssl and modssl... but i dont sure about the number on both ver...
    Lord Xavier,
    Cyberdelia Technologies,