dcsimg
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: A question pertaining to all of you.

I'm almost 25. I have been interested in computers for about 7 years, but have only really been dicking with them for about the last year and a half. I'm not saying I know much, but I will say this: Find a couple of cheap computers, reformat the hard drives, and experiment! Every one may laugh, but I got a starting point from the For Dummies series of books. No ****, a bunch of them give you a copy of the program the book is about. They run you through the simple stuff, have some extra information the average user doesn't need, and then you can get into the stuff that will really bake your noodle!

Banned
    I been interested in computers for 9 years, mainly coding i just recently got interested into security issues. Slackware was a little hard to configure whenever I tried it out.

I am 30 & I work in military industry,

You'll think that this business is very familiar with IP security (maybe because US MoD started the internet 20 years ago) but civilian business is now far in advanced.

This forum is a real opportunity to learn a share the knowledge, I'd like to thank AO founders and moderator for what they achieved her
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

Hmm...this whole thread seems to be "A Walk Down Memory...Bus: A IT History", so I'll add my $.02.

I'm 27 now, and got started in computers with the family's Apple IIe bought in 1983, so...20 years ago? I remember LOAD for the Apple (do you believe that ProDOS was written in Basic?!), Montezuma's Revenge, 8086's, my killer 3.5 inch gaming disk with BOTH StarControl and Prince of Persia, GW-Basic, WordStar, Fortran, BBS's, the school's VAX, my first email address, using UNIX TALK with my sister at college, my first 386, Doom, 256 colors, 2400 baud modems, Kings Quest V, Perl, CGI's, telnet IRC, web pages, "luggables", Quake, Win95, WinNT, more web pages, more CGI's (for money now), Linux, OpenBSD, shell scripting, system administration, more Perl, then my resume picks up.

Man, computers have been in my blood for YEARS. Unlike all my other passions, it's the one thing that has kept me consistantly fascinated. My drive to learn has kept me into computers ever since that monochrome 12" screen flickered it's green pixels at me.

However, my focus has shifted significantly over the years. At first, I just loved the games. I still love the games, but now I also love web pages, programming, operating systems, networking and security. I cycle between each focus off and on, but I'm always on the computer.
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

Banned
    erm been online since 12 with 56k now im 14 with cable 128k and all i do it surf the net for online 3d games shooter. er and i found none online

<------------- You think you got it bad all this and im still a newbie!!

speaking of games ..Leisure Suit Larry 1 : when ya had to answer those five history questions to prove you were old enough to play....*sigh*

5 1/2" floppy disks were REALLY floppy.....

and the release of mIRC on Windows 3.1 ... pkunzip n all....

alternatively you could 'ytalk' someone and see them come to life in a nice bright green/orange text upon a dramatic black background

and if ya wanted you could finger just about the whole world!!!!

good luck!
    \"I do not fear computers. I fear the lack of them.\"
    Isaac Asimov (1920 - 1992)

im 15 and ive only been interested in networking and security for a little while now, maybe a year, but i still know a fair bit about it. I been playing with computers my whole life though, ever since i can remember

I've been using comps alot since I was about 10. I'm 15 now, and only really got interested in anything other than games when I was 12. I then was a SK, bent on causing chaos. But after a year or so I got interested in programming and that's when I started learning. I've been interested in security and networking more these days than programming, but I still learn when/where I can. I sympathze with you for feeling inferior at this site. I'm a comp. god at my school but humbled when I come here. But, with considering how much longer they've been at it...it's not too bad. Things take time, especially when your in a feild that is already so expansive and never ceases to evolve.
    \"Greatness only comes at great risk.\" ~ Personal/Generic

i am at present facing the same problem as described above....but the hitch is i am studying to be a doctor.....and am really interested in computer security.....dont know what the heck i am doin'....glad to know there are others out there like me