Thread: Moving DNS records.

Moving DNS records.

I was just wondering if anyone could help me with the following.

I need to move a pile of DNS records from a standalone NT server to a Windows 2000 server with AD running.
    Is there any way to move the records over WITHOUT having to re-type all the info manually?

Thanks.

I am not sure if this is what you are looking for but I wrote a tutorial on this a while back
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=237050
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Can't you do some sort of a zone transfer between the DNS servers? That sounds familiar for some reason. I would lookup how to do a zone transfer on the Microsoft Knowledge Base or something. I am not sure that has been posted here, but you can search on the homepage to find out. Hope that helps a little.

t2k2
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

Thanks, but it's the DNS records I need to move.
    All the DHCP stuff is already moved.
    I'm trying to find a way to pull all the DNS records from one server to the other.
    However, the registry sounds like a good place to start though.

Cheers.

Ok, did you look into the zone transfer method. If it's valid, I am sure that it would be much much faster. I do know that if zone transfers were turned on in a DNS server, then you could do something like an nslookup for the domain to get the nameserver, then do an ls and pipe it to a file to get all of the records. Most DNS Admins have it turned off for obvious reasons. Imagine the information you could get about a network with a zone transfer! I would check for you, but I am getting ready to sign off for a little bit. I will check to see if you have found it when I come back. Until then...

t2k2
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

Talking Problem sorted.

It appears that the easiest solutionis to copy the daomain.dns file from the
    %systemroot%\system32\dns directory on the source server, copy them to the same place on the target server and then add the zone as a 'Standard Primary' zone type. When you're asked for the file info, you can specify to use an existing file in the
    %systemroot%\system32\dns directory.

Thanks guys.