linux newbie question

Thread: linux newbie question

linux newbie question

i got another computer and it has a sound max integrated digital audio in it and linux recongniz's the card but im not sure that it has the driver for it although under driver it says intel i810, i say that cause when i put a cd in i get no sound, being the linux newbie i am i start searching around and found a site on linux sound architecture but im still very new to the o/s and had no clue how to do anything that it was talking about though it said that its software did support my card. heres the site it was the closest thing i found to solving my problem, but i more than open to suggestions.any help would be greatly appriciated.take it easy.

Vernon, CT
    just out of curiousity what flavor of linux are you using?

Do you have a cable from the audio-out on your cdrom to the sound card?

Obvious question I know, but we need to check.....
    .....Brain Failure....dumping core.... z z z

run the sound config file from /sbin
    switch in to root use the "su" command it will promp you for you're root password
    then run /sbin/sndconfig it will come up a configuration screen and it will probe for you're sound card i am not sure where the drivers are kept what flavour of *nix you running if its redhat go to the gnome foot -->programs-->settings--->Multimedia and play around with the sound file also when you run sndconfig it should play a sound sample
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work

my advice is too simple!!!
    i got the same sound card as u!!!
    linux;in itd old version did not detect it!!
    if u don't want to come with complicated config and setup just get the latest red hat or mandrake!!!
    u may try to fix it also as showed u prodikal
    Toka Koka: To receive a reward, an equivalent sacrifice has to be made!