Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: firewall problem

Question firewall problem

hello guys and gals

I know this may sound dumb but I just recently installed DSL to my pc every since then. I have to cut mY firewall(McAfee) off to connect to the net. once connected if I cut it on it disconnents me. I try reconfiguring it but I have ran out of ideas. What do U think is the problem.

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    ROFL....... There you go...... A firewall that you have to cut off just when you need it...... Sorry, it made me laugh so hard......

I would uninstall it and reinstall it. Sounds like it set itself up to operate only on the dialup adapter and now you are using the ethernet it is blocking it. When you reinstall it will probably reognize that the ethernet adapter is the one you need to have it operating on primarily.

If that fails I would look to a hardware firewall/router such as a Linksys BEFSR41. I prefer the hardware solutions anyway but I find it to be both cost effective and simply effective.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

You have a point Tiger_Shark

thx, I laughed when I thought of writing it

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    This situation has happened to some buddies who run the symantec personal firewall and we decided to dump the dial-up adapter once we uninstalled it. We no longer needed it since high speed would be the only way to fly. You might want to remove the dialup adapter if you no longer need it before re-installing the firewall.

Good luck!

As mentioned reinstall your f/w and also buy yourself a router either linksys or smc which is
    what I prefer. Not to mention the price for smc has really come down a lot. The advantage of
    getting the router is obvious. Able to share your connection and also your now get stateful
    packet filtering. This is "very" nice and adds another layer of security to your machine.

Originally posted here by Tiger Shark

If that fails I would look to a hardware firewall/router such as a Linksys BEFSR41. I prefer the hardware solutions anyway but I find it to be both cost effective and simply effective. [/B]

Just to add to what Tiger Shark has said here, if you decide to purchase a hardware solution, the Linksys BEFSR41 is great for small scale use. I've had mine for about a year now, and it works great - I'm very pleased with mine..
    - Maverick

thx for tha help AOer's your tha greatest.

so can a packet sniffer be installed on my modem

You can install a packet sniffer on your PC and sniff the network connection from your modem...
    - Maverick

A packet sniffer does not install on your modem. It is a program that allow your nic to scoop
    up the packets on your segment. If your in windows then go with either Ethereal (good for
    newbies and experienced alike) or go for windump. Windump you run via dos. You will need
    libpcap for either one of the above noted. "Make" sure you do not get the trojaned one!

http://www.foundstone.com/knowledge/...detection.html
    On another note d/l all the tools listed in the above link. They are free so go nuts.
    Also get yourself a good trojan/active content detector --> The Cleaner by MooSoft is an
    excellent choice. I have heard there are *cough* serials for it *couch*

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Actually the BEFSR41 will not allow a sniffer to work properly since it is a switch in itself. However if you pop a cheap hub on a single cable between all your PC's and the router it will broadcast all the traffic to you.

I don't know about other Cable/DSL routers but I suspect they would be the same.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides