Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What phreaking box to choose....?

Question What phreaking box to choose....?

I need a little bit of advice. My school's science project fair thingy is coming up REAL soon. Now, being in Biology class, my teacher is making it mandatory to do it. Well, you can do it in anything you want, so I was planning on making a Phreaking box. My teacher says that sounds real interresting, but I know that I won't be able to test it.... But anywho, I need advice on what would be a good box to start out with. I was thinking of maybe a red box, or a white box. I need to do something that won't cost a whole lot, and can be done withing the next 2 weeks. I would like to know soon, so that I can make a run to Radio Shack. Thanks!

Banned
    The only boxes that really seem to be working now are the telezapper, orange-box, beige-box, and red-box. I don't think this belongs in AO and it sounds more like your hiting up for tips on boxing but anyways..... you can go to a bunch of phone sites and find the tones.

Ever heard of google?
    This isn't a kiddie board by the way....

I am NOT really looking for one that works, because I don't want to cheat the phone system. I just want to know of one that would be simple for a beginner to build.

Like I said. If anyone has any ideas for a simple box good for a newbie to start out with, please tell me. I really need a good grade in that damn class...

Your last statement doesnt justify it. Building it = a working box. Therefore a working box = the ability to cheat the phone system. Building it as a school project isnt going to justify it either - theres only one thing it can be used for. I guess if you want to learn, sure... but its something that you have no practical use...*shrug* just my opinion
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

Banned

GrrrrR

Go to PLA thats where all the other phone monkeys hangout....
    There are some tones and stuff that you can save as wav and if you search google for phone tones or 'sounds' then you should find some other interesting things.

Question PLA???

Sorry....umm...what is PLA?

They're all pretty simple to build even if you're only slightly mechanically inclined. The question I have is where's the science of this? What question are you hoping to answer by building a red-box? Do you just want to see if it still works? Are you trying to explain the rudimentary workings of electronics? I can think of a bunch of different electronics projects that would be much more interesting and more useful than a red-box. Are you trying to show how the old analog phone system worked? It's all digital now, so that project would be obsolete. I'm not trying to discourage you at all, but it just seems to me that for a science fair project it looks like you've missed the idea. Maybe if you were entering a Fraud Fair, I'd understand a little better. You must have a cool biology teacher. I can't imagine any of my teachers endorsing this sort of thing.
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */

Post Hmm...

Yeah, my teacher is really cool. But...Now that you mention it, it doesn't have a use. I told him there would be no real way to test them if they work, but the white box on the other hand, it is suppose to just be like a touch tone pad or something...I could test it to see if it works. I think... I dun know...And, the subject that it would be in is Physics, and, do you really know some other good projects? If so, please give me some ideas, because the due date is looming ahead...

Banned
    The white-box was never really a good box...
    Go to PhoneLosers.org and download some redbox tones or get a walkman and play around with the phone intil you get the sounds that you want. I'm to lazy to do any of this for you so go to google & search intil you find what you want.

you can download redbox programs just about anywhere, go to like www.phrack.com, if they don't have one i'm sure they'll point you in the right direction. if you really wanna be 1337, try to build a blue box.

also, for a really good discription of how phones work, go to www.howstuffworks.com. they also explain how to build intercoms and things like that using phones.

of course use at your own risk.
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one