Thread: Looking 4 a Graphic conversion program

Looking 4 a Graphic conversion program

Hi Everybody! Long time no see!

I have this picture that's in ART format and I want to upload it to a Yahoo group, but Yahoo doesn't support ART format pics. I was wondering if anyone knew of any Freeware or Shareware programs that would convert ART into GIF or JPG formats.

It would be sooooo much appreciated!! Thanks ahead of time!

LaterZ!

the simplist way if you only have one is to right click on the file and "open with" IE then save it as a bmp. repeat the process and save it as a jpg
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I would..but when I right click on it, it doesn't say 'open with..' It just says Open. And stupid Quicktime always opens it and I don't know how to get Quicktime to stop taking over my picture files without uninstalling it.

I know this is so much of a hassel for a dumb picture, btu I really do want to post it. It would be more than one pic I was gonna post if I could find a way to convert the formatting.

LaterZ!
    ~Mystic~

MysticFire

Try Gimp, I dont know if it's capable of converting from ART to GIF/JPG but it's worth a try since it's a free and nice program which runs under Windows and Linux.

Source: www.gimp.org
    The GIMP is the GNU Image Manipulation Program. It is a freely distributed piece of software suitable for such tasks as photo retouching, image composition and image authoring.
    - Mantra

Try Acdsee Powerpack , http://www.acdsee.com
    It does whatever you want with the conversion of images, well mostly.
    \"I have a 386 Pentium.\"

One other way that you could convert using programs you might have would be to hit the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard. I think Linux supports this, but I don't know 100%. In Windows, pressing the "Print Screen" button will copy the current data on the screen on to the Clipboard. Then, you can open up "Paint" or any other graphics program, and you should be able to paste the image in there. After that, you just have to crop it a little, and you have a picture to save!

It takes a lot of work, but at times can be your "Last Resource" type thing. There may be cases where this may not work, and it does take some time, but it might help if the other solutions don't work.

-Only this this if the other solutions don't work-

-Tim_axe

if u hold down the shift key while roghtclicking ull get an open with option
    buying M$ OS is like ordering a soup where u gotta pay extra for the bowl and spoon....and each time u order something new u gotta pay a huge amount for a new table!!!

MysticFire,

As far as i could inquire, an ART file consists of a series of entries that define a scene. Each entry begins with a header line followed by a block of attribute lines. Header and attribute line formats are different for each type of entry. So, you can consider this files as a little "video" formats (similar to what Flash do) and this could be the reason why QuickTime (Player or Viewer?) is open it. So, are you sure you can convert this type of files to jpg, bmp, etc.? I couldn't find a picture program related to art files yet.

By the way, to stop QuickTime from opening your files, open the QuickTime Player, go to Edit/Preferences/QuickTime Preferences/File Type Associations and check the files it is opening [from the QuickTime Player (not the QuickTime PictureViewer) you control the picture formats too].

Bye.

I looked up a few of my favorite programs I do use to convert images with (mostly in batch processes and for my web-photoalbum) and I found that Image Magic do support conversion from ART format to other formats. I have not tested to convert a ART image to other formats but they say it works.

ImageMagickTM 5.5.3 is a robust collection of tools and libraries offered under a usage license to read, write, and manipulate an image in many image formats (over 87 major formats) including popular formats like TIFF, JPEG, PNG, PDF, PhotoCD, and GIF. With ImageMagick you can create images dynamically, making it suitable for Web applications. You can also resize, rotate, sharpen, color reduce, or add special effects to an image or image sequence and save your completed work in the same or differing image format. Image processing operations are available from the command line, as well as through C, C++, Perl, or Java programming interfaces.

For more information on what the package does, see: http://www.imagemagick.org
    Another favorite program I use regulary are Netpbm, I could not find out if it could convert ART images but my guess is that it is capable of do that aswell (more then 220 separate tools in one package).

Netpbm is a toolkit for manipulation of graphic images, including
    conversion of images between a variety of different formats. There
    are over 220 separate tools in the package including converters for
    about 100 graphics formats. Examples of the sort of image
    manipulation we're talking about are: Shrinking an image by 10%;
    Cutting the top half off of an image; Making a mirror image; Creating
    a sequence of images that fade from one image to another;

For more information on what the package does, see: http://netpbm.sourceforge.net/doc
    Both packages are good set of tools when you work with images.

~micael

WOW! I wasn't expecting such a huge response! Thanks you guys!!

Mantra: Thanks for the URL. You're right..anything free is worth trying. At least once.

Invader: Thank you also for the URL. It's much appreciated.

Tim_axe: Hey you're right. I should have thought of that. Stupid me.

devil_dog: Thanks for letting me know about the shift thing. I'll have to remember that for future references.

-DaRK-RaiDeR-: Actually, no I'm not sure if you can convert these types of files. Quicktime automatically takes over anything I save on my comp. To top it off, Quicktime won't even open ART files. Something about it doesn't understand the extension. RealPlayer does, however, open them but you can't save them again under a different extension that I'm aware of. Thanx for your help!

micael: Thanx for the two URL's and the info! It will be a life saver! Hehe.

Once again thank you all!! You guys are so nice and helpful! C-Ya LaterZ!!

~Mystic~