Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: Poll on OS you guys learned first.

DOS,, forget which version.

hi

like a few others here, i got to learn cpm (i forgot how the slashes go) first, because my parents got me an old kaypro (it was kinda portable!). then dos.

regards,
    mark.
    \'hi, welcome to *****. if you would like to speak to an operator, please hang up now.\'
    * click *

I started out using a C64 with it's basic..
    Learned to program basic when I was like 6 or 7..

Then at school they had a Philips p2000 so I showed them what 16K of raw power could do I was 9 or something at the time..

then on came DOS (4.1) on a 286 (10 years old) and I started with GWBasic and Qbasic up to 4.5 with the .exe compiler..

later on to Win3.1, 3.11, 95, 98, NT(4), 2000 and XP... Wich was realy a setback in my education as Console Hero..

before the 2000 and XP I already made the "switch" to Linux and BSD's.. thank god for that..

I also have a little MacOs and OsX experience, but that is realy a little..
    I just hate the one button mouse system (MacOs 9 and older).
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Thanks for replying guys. I didn't realize there were so many different OSes. Now, you have given me the learning bug, and now I want to master an OS. I guess I will try XP, and start manipulating the registry and stuff. Thanks for all of your posts!
    Everyone dies, but fortunatly for me, today is your day, not mine. :P

I learned DOS 6.x first, then win95, then *nix (HP-UX on an Apollo), then win2k, et cet era...
    + remember, there is no wrong OS, just incorrect implementations of their technologies :-)
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

I guess my first OS would have been on a Tandy TS Model III. went to DOS from there and ran Windows 1.0 on top of that. My all time favotite DOS was 3.3. Used Windows 3.1 and 3.11 a little but did not care for it. Went to Windows 95 after trying to stay away from it for about a year. Went to Windows 98, NT4, 2000, XP. Now learning Red Hat 8. Still have my Windows 1.0 in the box, would love to be able to load it now.

First OS...
    I had an old Tandy 1000 w/ and old versionof PC DOS...I learned GWBasic and dBIV on it. I had Jill of the Jungle and a Typing Tutor and that was it. The first OS I tore apart was Win95, I had 2 years of hardcore use of it, and then 5 years of Linux, no gui, just console. Then I tore apart XP and now I'm working on 2K.
    Running XP on my desktop and 2K on my laptop.

Antionline's Security Dude instronics's Avatar
    Welp, my first OS was Basic V.1 on an old sinclair spectrum with rubber buttons and an external tape deck (no floppies yet at that time), i was like 5, 6 years old. Now im 27. After the sinclair i moved on to commodore 64, then commodore 128D. Then in school we went to the old apple computers with the double 5.14" floopy drives. After that i went to dos 3.3, dos 4.01, Novell dos, dos 5, win 95, win98, and then finally i went to linux. I long sometimes for the good old times when i had to setup my own autoxec.bat and config.sys files, and i had to use high mem commands in order to play old dos games (leisure suit larry 1, space quest, kings quest) and a few other old dos games.
    Ubuntu-: Means in African : "Im too dumb to use Slackware"

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    I started on a Tandy TRC-80 with like 16K of RAM. All it did was basic basic i.e.

10 PRINT "HELLO"
    20 GOTO 10
    run [RETURN]

you hit the red [BREAK] key to stop it.

After that I got a 386 and dos 3.0 (i think it was 3.0) and started from there. When windows came out I despised it. I think the only thing I used it for was the solitaire and minesweeper. Oh and notepad and paint. Thats was it. Since then I've learned all the win Os's except XP, which unfortunately is coming soon. I've also learned a majority of *nix and a little bit of BSD (csh is fun). Well, where I go next, no clue, as/400's have been poping up in my mind for a bit, maybe that'll be next.

ermm, first real OS? I would have to say one of the DOS's. I used to play around with Apple DOS 2.3 a bit, and then 3.1. Taught myself a lot of different stuff using LOGO and Apple BASIC.

Then it was over to the PC world for a while. Learned MS DOS 2.0-6.22, DR DOS up to around 5.x, and a smattering of others. Played around with some of the original releases of Linux, and of course had my hands in the UNIX varients like AIX, HP UX, etc. Oh and the first version of "windows" that I remember messing around with was 2.0 on an old Compaq "portable" that was the size of a suitcase and weighed a TON. Only had a little screen on the side of it, maybe a 9 inch or so screen if I remember correctly

El Diablo