Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Poll on OS you guys learned first.

My first OS: MS DOS 5
    Which was soon upgraded to 6 and then 6.22.
    Then there was Windows 3.1 (never got into the workgroups junk)
    Then Windows 95, 98,2000, ME, XP...blehbleh...
    And only now that I am in college and actually forced to use various flavors of BSD, Solaris, and other *nix OSs do I actually bother to learn them. Though working with all the commands, batch files, and the all mightly memmaker has given me a bit of an edge over the point and click generation (I think technically I am the point and click generation, but whateva)

Regards,
    Wizeman
    \"It\'s only arrogrance if you can\'t back it up, otherwise it is confidence.\" - Me

the uber cool msdos 5 mannn
    --------------------------
    http://www.arg-irc.com

Originally posted here by xmaddness
    I started on a Tandy TRC-80 with like 16K of RAM. All it did was basic basic i.e.

10 PRINT "HELLO"
    20 GOTO 10
    run [RETURN]

you hit the red [BREAK] key to stop it.

hi

that reminds me... i had a pc-1 like from this site...

http://www.trs-80.com/trs80-pc.htm

was that what you had too, xmaddness?

i know compared to today's games the games on those are not so flash... but when that's all you have it's pretty enjoyable!

regards,
    mark.
    \'hi, welcome to *****. if you would like to speak to an operator, please hang up now.\'
    * click *

i learned windows95 first then went onto 98. from there i learnt win2k Adv. Server. then went and learnt NT server and workstation. (a step backwards yeh). I going to do WinXp courses this year and more 2000 server and i muck around in slackware linux on my comp aswell.
    Just because you don\'t see it doesn\'t mean it\'s not there

Dos 6.22 and then up the windows ladder.

AntiOnline Senior Medicine Man
    MS DOS 6.0. No windows.

Packard Bell 300SX (386) 14,400k baud rate modem, 90 megs of HD space. 16 megs of Ram.
    8 bit, Sound Blaster.

Yep, it was all about Q-basic for me in those days. Does anyone remember nibbles.bas or gorrila.bas?
    It is better to be HATED for who you are, than LOVED for who you are NOT.

THC/IP Version 4.2

Glad to hear I'm not alone when I say CPM.

Regards,
    SS
    -{[ Joe ]}- (Joe@nitesecurity.com)
    http://www.nitesecurity.com

[shadow]I\'m Just A Soldier In This War Against Ignorance.[/shadow]

my first experience was with ms-dos.since then i've tried linux,bsd,os/2,solaris and windows of course.i prefer all non-gui operating systems and especially linux....

I'm not even sure if this even counts as a computer but we had this funky typewrighter which beeped alot (that way we knew it was working ). Then in elementary school we had the "Apple Fishbowls" then we got a computer with WIN 3.???. Then we upgraded to WIN98 which I had to endure. Then we got a XP box. Now Im saving to buy my own comp with Linux. O yeah, we work with Linux at my University how could I forget
    sorry

Dr. Toker,

I used to play Nibbles and Gorilla at work! Great way to waste away the day. I started out on the Comodore 64 w/Basic and programming my own games. Then moved on to the Apple OS and have worked my way up through all of the DOS and Windows systems. Lots of fun but a lot of frustration also.

ccKid