Network security

Thread: Network security

Network security

When I go to University I'll be connecting my PC to their network. I'm just wondering what I will need to do to ensure I'm secure.

At the moment I dont use a password to logon to my computer so that would probably be the first thing to change.

I'm guessing I'll also have to change settings for local networks and trusted zones, as it's never been connected to a network before.

thanks.
    Mama always said, keep your virus definitions up to date.

djhuk,

Wait for more members answers but my advice is, never share you C: drive (or the one where you have installed your OS). Don't leave an easy path to "invaders". Just create indivivual folders to share files.

Remember to use a good firewall too, Zone Alarm could to it well!!!

Watch out with trojans Antivirus programs can't detect!!!

I think college have many lamers and script kiddies "bothering" all the time.

Take care, bye.

DKRR

Sharing a PC with anyone is a damn scarey proposal..... One in which I wouldnt even remotely entertain : )

But in the immortal words of some one....whatever floats yer boat : P)

He||sFury.. : )

Just treat the situation as if you were getting on the internet... After all, both are public networks that you can't implicitly trust.

So yeah, get a firewall (zonealarm for example) and a good anti-virus, disable sharing if you don't need it, and if you do, set good passwords (and set "restrict anonymous" access in the local security policies if you're on win2000 or XP; search the archives you should find howto's for that)

Other than that, just use common sense and treat it like if you were directly on the net.

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

Banned
    I have to agree with Ammo,

Just treat the situation as if you were getting on the Internet
    Surely never share your Cdrive) and practice security.

Assuming this is a windows box, make sure you also turn off file and print sharing. And if you have a 2K or higher box disable the guest account.
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...

(Guest is disabled by default on w2k and XP)

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss

I don't think anyone here mentioned this, but especially for laptops, don't forget physical security. It wouldn't matter how secure your firewall is to protect your sensitive files when all someone needs to do is catch you off guard and hop on your computer.
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

when you are not using your computer the BEST security in the world is "disconnect from the net work" unplug the CAT 5 cable.
    When you are on using it the above suggestions are great. practice security, use a firewall, never share your files (if they need something you have burn it on cd for them), set VERY difficult passwords and ALWAYS remember to use alpha/numeric passwords and NEVER store passwords on your PC.