Thread: regarding launching of scanners from win-xp

Question regarding launching of scanners from win-xp

can i launch a scanner from win-xp.........or should i do it from linux OS.....and which scanners are the latest and powerfull.........and by the way whats a stealth scanner........thx in advance.........just a newbie trying to learn..

There are tons of scanners for both Linux and windows. If you looking for power then nmap might be just what you’re looking for. http://www.insecure.org/nmap/
    It's got tons of options runs on a whole whack of OS's; plus it has some nifty OS Detection. Just make sure not to go around scanning computer that don't belong to you. While not illegal it is frowned upon and your ISP might decide to cut off you internet before you become a liability.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

There is no such thing as a stealth scanner. This is just based on that you won't get caught as easily. Nmap is good I've heard but can be innacurate as from what a friend told me it only sends out one packet to check a particular port. If someone logs it you will probably have to find a new ISP as like cwk9 said they really don't like it.
    \"I am trying to beat it but it is a losing fight.\" - My dad said this the day before he died. I will make him proud.

although their is no such thing as total stealth their are methods used to obscure a scan such as decoys to make it harder to find the actual source of the scan. not doing an incremental type scan 1,2,3,4,5 but rather 3,1,5,4,2 and spreading it out over a period of time
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

thx for the advice ................rest asuured its only for personal use...

Check out both nmap/superscan for your windows box. A good portion of scans will not be
    detected ie: won't kick out an alarm by f/w's. They will however be easily detected by IDS
    systems such as Blackice. Most f/w's just don't respond to those types of packets.
    syn packet to an open port get's you a syn/ack
    syn packet to a closed/firewalled port gets you a rst/ack
    so on and so forth