Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NIC conflict

Just a quick scenario for you.

You are using m$ on a network of 192.168.1.0 class C with a "residental gateway" in a workgroup called "workgroup".

PC1 net config

PC name "Computer1" (also the netbios name)
    ip 192.168.1.25
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.1 (Only if you have broadband and are using a router, the "residental gateway")

PC2 net config

PC name "Computer2" (also the netbios name)
    ip 192.168.1.26
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 192.168.1.1 (Only if you have broadband and are using a router, the "residental gateway")

If you are on broadband, don't forget to put in your ISPs DNS server addresses... or you get no naming resolution! Most of the time, your router will handle this for you, but some of the older "residential gateways" require you to actually enter the DNS into your network config.l

Check to see that in network neighborhood you have the same workgroup on both PCs.
    If you are using XP or 2k, expect to have the same user ids and passwords on both PCs.

As long as you have the correct drivers loaded you should be able to ping back and forth or connect to shares, or use other resources.

You check your network settings by going to ms-dos prompt and typing

c:\ipconfig /all

that should list everything except for your workgroup.

Again, that is just a scenario...

Good luck!
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Banned
    Thanx VictorKaum,

ok now we're getting somewhere. i't's 01:00 now so i'll try it out 2morrow but it's something i haven't thought of, i'll get back to you when i try it.

good thinking =P

Go into the network settings and set BOTH machines to 10mb/half duplex and see if they link and can talk. Also, disable ANY firewall software etc that you have running on BOTH machines. Configure 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 on machine1 and 192.168.1.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 on machine2. If this works.. crank them both up to 100mbs/full duplex (if both NICs can do it).