Thread: Help - Hard drive Problem

Help - Hard drive Problem

Well, I'v just bought a new comp with a 60gig HDD, the problem is, windows seems to think it's a 20gig, and a 60gig at the same time...the only answer I can come up with is a partition, am I rignt, and how can I fix it?

I'v added a screen pic.

Hope some one can help with this.
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Re: Help - Hard drive Problem

Do you have Norton Util. try it.
    If you don t have it download a trial-version.
    Maybe the erors will be gone after using it?

http://nct.digitalriver.com/fulfill/0001.2
    i m gone,thx everyone for so much fun and good info.
    cheers and good bye

Gona see if a partition magic 8.0 boot-disk can sort it out first..
    hope that works...

- Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Noia, is it possible that you made a 20 GB FAT32 partition and that the rest of the disk is still unused, unpartitioned place? But then I wonder why windows comes up with 57 GB format possibility? Take a look at your disk administration tool. http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;309000

edit: it seemed that I misspelled you name into Nokia. I added a link to MS knowledge base

it is possible......hmm....I'll take a look....that is if I can find it....
    lol@VK

- NOIA!!

cool, but I just formated with Partion magic...gona see if it helped....
    what happens if I DELETE a partition, would that make the disk un-bootable?
    I know it would delete everything, but would it still work? (ie, could I re-install on it?)

- Noia

as i know , windows xp should accept the 60G with no problem
    unless u tried to do some partitions and gone with something wrong during the partitioning Procedure
    When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power, the world will know peace... Jimi Hendrix
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask...... what was war?

Noia

don't know if you have solved your problem or not... but this might help

http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;315688

enititled 'How to Locate and Correct Disk Space Problems on NTFS Volumes in Windows XP'

Weird problem you have though!

Good luck

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

well, the Partition magic did the trick....tanx any how....it's good to see such fast response...

- Noia

i'm probably too late! anyway for anyone with a similar problem stumbling in from a search page or something -
    does XP have a Disk Management utility like 2k that lets you make partitions? assuming it does, i'd keep the 20GB for the OS (actually i'd use smaller, depends on how much software you are installing) to keep fragmentation down to a minimum. ie, only install software to this partition and it should stay for the most part contiguous. make another one or two partitions and use these for storing files, downloading etcetra where fragmentation won't effect the system's performance. one 60GB partition would be horrible if you ever have to reinstall the OS because you would have to get all your stuff off this partition so it isn't at risk.
    seeing as it is new, would you get away with formatting it and reinstalling the OS? win2k lets you make partitions during the install so i'm going to assume that XP lets you do this too. as Vic said, i'd say that it might be unallocated, but why does it say it is using NTFS???
    if you delete the partition, the master boot record should still be intact, which means that you turn it on and it will look for an os where it thinks there is one and won't find it of course, so it won't load. but of course you can safely reinstall, and the MBR will be updated, and the OS will boot.

<tangent type="multiple small partitions"> i had games on my third partition (E: /dev/hda3) reinstalled my OS on the first partition (C: /dev/hda1) due to problems and when it was installed, the games from the previous OS install still worked with the new one! all my files were on the second partition (D: /dev/hda2) so it was no trouble to simple reinstall them for the new OS install...all without having to "backup" and files by taking them off the one disk that i had.</tangent>

edit: problem solved, but i'm gonna leave this here anyway
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!