floppy drive probs

Thread: floppy drive probs

Post floppy drive probs

Ok I was recently working inside my computer and now my floppy drive light stays on and every time I try to save something it doesn't act like a disk is in the drive. I have made sure that the power supply and the ribbon are connected securely to motherboard as well as the drive. I have updated the drivers. I can't rollback the driver. So I then hooked up the floppy drive to my parents computer to see if it worked and had the same problem. After that, their floppy acts like it isn't getting power but everything seems to be in the right place. Say I add a new floppy to my computer in place of my old one. Do I need to uninstall the old and the drivers and let the new one autodetect and the drivers install. My understanding is that is all that needs to be done in installing a floppy drive. Am I leaving out something? BTW, I am learning by doing so I usually have to screw something up before I get it right. Any troubleshooting ideas? Thanks

coVert

What OS are you running? It will help to figure it out. I learned by screwing up also. I unattached my floppy while the comp was still on. Needless to say it runs wierd now. I had no clue that a floppy drive has to have drivers. I don't think there are drivers for floppy drives.
    \"I am trying to beat it but it is a losing fight.\" - My dad said this the day before he died. I will make him proud.

your problem is that you connect the flat cable in the wrong way
    Those cables most of the times comes with a red strip in one side that red strip is the pin number 1 check the drive and see where the pin number 1 is and connect it
    good luck
    \"Knowledge is Power\"

coVert,

whitedragon is right but if (i don't know why) you want to install a new floppy because this one is broken, then it is not necessary to install new drivers, your OS will do the whole work for you, just take the old floppy drive and connect the new one.

Good luck!!!

Bye.

DKRR

hi

i agree with whitedragon, it is a cable prob. best way to check, if you have a bootable floppy disk, set your bios to boot ONLY from the floppy disk drive, and try to rearrange the floppy cable, you know you have it right when you get to boot off the floppy. this will save you a bit of time since you won't have to load up the whole OS.

regards,
    mark.
    \'hi, welcome to *****. if you would like to speak to an operator, please hang up now.\'
    * click *

Thanks for all the help guys. I haven't had a whole lot of time to try and work on it but I did have the ribbon in backwards.

if you ever have the same thing with a hrd drive read light always on, it will also be the same prob too, just lettin ya know in case it ever happens

whitedragon is most likely correct. but at work we have some cases that are...weird. and the floppy has to be positioned just right or it wont read. these cases are the ones with a face place and a little plastic bit that pushes the floppy button and not you actually touching it. anyway. unscrew the floppy so you can slide it around in its cage. place a disk in there and read it. tighten it up so that i cant move. read it again and make sure you can eject the disk. if so its all sweet. but like i say, whitedragon is mostly right

TN123
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----