Thread: Failure = RH 8.0 Upgrade/Install

Failure = RH 8.0 Upgrade/Install

<insert rant here>

I've downloaded RH 8.0 ISOs images from Linux ISO, burned them, and then tested them. All was well.

My LUG, OLUG had its installfest yesterday and after I finished helping a few folks with their systems, I decided to upgrade mine.

First, I used the iso that I burned in the gui mode. It keeps timing out on the when installing the GCC libs. Ok, so I try text mode. Same story. Then I tried usign Apt-Get Dist-Install command and that seemed to work, but there were too many dependencies issues.

So I wiped out what I had after backing up all of the important stuff and tried fresh. Same problem, timing out when installing the GCC libs.

So, I whipped out the ISOs for Mandrake 9.0 that was the main install for our installfest and that sucker installed in less than 10 minutes.

So why did Red Hat fail so bad and Mandrake win with the greatest of easy when it came to the install? If others are having as much problems as me, and I'm really not much of a newbie right now, Redhat is going to lose way more ground.

Also, a guy brought in a Knoppix
    and that kicks ***. A great way to get more people interested in Linux without having to install.

BTW, even as I write this, I am downloading the ISOs for Debian. I figured what the hell, I am ready to move on.

</end rant here>

Hmm, I have installed RH 8 about 10 times, and never had an issue. Was always fairly slick.

Don't know what your issue was, but, just had to chime in.

I should also point out that I installed RH 7.1 and then upgraded to 7.3 with no problem whatsoever....

Any my hardware is very new, so I wouldn't think there would be a problem.

I should also point out that I installed RH 7.1 and then upgraded to 7.3 with no problem whatsoever....
    i just recently tried to upgrade to RH8 on a box that was 7.1 upgraded to 7.3 and I had those problems upgrading. The install would just freeze after I hit disk 2. The RH8 testing function said there were no problems with the disks I had, but it still wouldn't work.

I decided to just load it fresh on a test box. Same problem. Would freeze on disk 2. But the RH8 test of the media came up clean.

I then got a new set of disks, and it worked perfectly on the clean install. Now I have to try to do the server.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

hi,

Have you try to install your RH in different computers (if you have more then one comp) , I have same problem as you..I've installed in my old computer then end up with keep timing out( I have no idea what's the problem is..to be honest, but I know something wrong with my old computer) and then I try to install in my dad computer .. (I think he must been mad at me that time...lol) and I don't have problem whatsoever.

Just a opinion...
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!

hi

this may sound crazy... try installing rh8.0 again, but a minimal install - no x, no dev stuff, no nothing, just the base. just to see how far it gets. we've got rh8.0 running in 4 of our systems here (3 desktops and 1 server) and as far as i know, no probs whatsoever.

regards,
    mark.
    \'hi, welcome to *****. if you would like to speak to an operator, please hang up now.\'
    * click *