Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what ports?

Question what ports?

hey everyone,

as u can see im harsh a newbie and so this is harsh a newbie question. NO FEAR.
    so what ports do hackers connect to just any ol' one?

Jibo,

Fiiiuuu!!! That's a HUGE question. It depends on the program, each of them opens different ports. Besides, there are ports exclusively used to determined kind of jobs/programs, for example FTP. You'll have to read a lot to learn about this matter.

Bye.

DKRR

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Jibo: Ok..... there are 65535 ports any one of which YOU can open to provide a service on. Once a port is open and providing a service there is a potential for exploit by others if the port is accessible to them, (ie. no firewall).

To see the common ports do a google search for "common ports" - you'll get reams of info.
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

This might help...
    http://www.hackerwhacker.com/portlist.html

Another question you might want to know: What services do hax0rs fancy, what's insecure, what's more secure, etc... Block all unused ports...
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

I remember asking a question like that many moons ago, when I had no idea what I was doing. I'm new here, so I have no idea what the policy is on answering questions. But oh well. Any port on your system is an open playing field for a "hacker/cracker". There's always the bigger ones 21, 22, 23, 80 for example. But depending on what software is opening the port, what OS you are running, and the skill of the person, practically any port is their own personal playground

wow that was some fast replies, thx
    well i know all about what ports are and that theres tons. but ur saying that all can be exploited but only but certain hacking programs? well do the programs tell u what ports they target? or do u dive blindly and slowly into trying to learn how to use them?

Since you didn't say, I'm assuming you're on an m$ box.

To see which ports are open on your machine, you can use the command

c:\netstat

there are several options so, use

c:\netstat /? for all the options.

Here is a good list of the "well known ports " along with the not so known ports.

Check out a program called fport from foundstone .

Active Ports is also good for a realtime status of what is open on your box.

Since you are a "newbie", I'd recommed picking up a book or two. I really like the "exposed" series.
    They have a great amount of info, and you'd be surprised at how much you can learn.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Hey Jibo check out this Update I put out a week or two ago. I included a bunch of ports you should take a look at

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...643#post592643
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

Again- exploiting/haxing these ports actually has nothing to do with the port it-self, it's all about what services are being run on that port... and what versions of software running the services... I'd refrain from using phrases like "hacking programs"... you might get Negative Antipoints assigned to your post, watch out :-)
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

thx phisphreek for thinkin bout my security and i got it kinda covered with norton antivirus and internet security which is working quite well i think. i dont understand why id get negative antipoints by refering to these "hacking programs" becuase antionlin provides oodles a list of oodles of these programs from which ive dled. at least i think its antionline so dont burn me if im wrong i have a horrible memory