AMD,Intel move over. Here comes SONY??

Thread: AMD,Intel move over. Here comes SONY??

Old Fart

AMD,Intel move over. Here comes SONY??

This should prove to be interesting for console gamers and Pc affeciendos as well...a little inside glimpse at the "heart" of the PS3. If the Cell processor proves to be more that mere vaporware, this could well have a major impact on the PC world. Sony and Toshiba have entered into a deal with Rambus to develop a VERY interesting chip.

Cell, which is expected to come out in late 2004 or early 2005, substantially differs from current chips on the market. Developed by IBM, Sony and Toshiba, the processor will contain multiple chips inside a single piece of silicon and will be geared toward delivering video, entertainment, interactive gaming and other content. It will have the ability to do north of 1 trillion mathematical calculations per second, roughly 100 times more than a single Pentium 4 chip running at 2.5GHz.
    Lets all pause a moment (*GULP*...250 Ghz?) and wipe the drool from our chins. It may also be a good idea to put on a bib or an old shirt, because it just keeps getting better....

Chips churning at that speed, though, need to be surrounded by high-speed links and similarly speedy chips to function properly, which is where Yellowstone and Redwood come in. Yellowstone can transfer data up to 100 gigabits per second, or three times faster than current high-speed memory, said Laura Stark, vice president of the memory interface group at Rambus. In the end, the two technologies will allow chips to exchange audio or graphics data extremely rapidly, the companies said.
    I saved the best for last. Sony is not looking at keeping this chip exclusive to the PS3. Word has it that they are considering releasing several VIAO computers using this chip and...

Cell's designers are engineering the chip to work with a wide range of operating systems, including Linux
    The future looks very interesting at this point!
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Sweet, I'm also excited about quantum computing and microphotonic developments.

wait a sec, lets just reverse the tapes abit. firstly, something like this wont sell for 10years after it has come out of the market because of the price? it will be up near the 10's of thousands and secondly, something moving that fast would really get hot. half your desk would be used up by the cooling fan. however instead the water cooling system will become more popular and this will open a new door.

just a thought, why do we need computers that fast. i mean, this chip is designed for gaming. and the only reason it need to be so fast is because of how the game is designed. sure, you get better graphics, but there is a point, for example, my eyes can only tolerate 800x600 and when i get any higher like 1280x768 the screen makes a noise that my ears cant stand. there is a point and even trying to exceed this point is a waste of money and time
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

Old Fart
    Originally posted here by Trust_Not_123
    wait a sec, lets just reverse the tapes abit. firstly, something like this wont sell for 10years after it has come out of the market because of the price? it will be up near the 10's of thousands and secondly, something moving that fast would really get hot. half your desk would be used up by the cooling fan.

Hrm....The Cell processor is in development for the PlayStation 3 console...current release date 2005, so I doubt that it's gonna be nearly as costly or as far off as that. As for the heat issue, I would assume (or at least hope) that the developers have that under control.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

quote:

Cell's designers are engineering the chip to work with a wide range of operating systems, including Linux
    That's for a good interesting news allen I am looking forward for that..specially for Linux/*nix. My VIAO laptop GRX running like champ using *nix and even for the modem I don't have problem to running it (it's been tested for my freeBSD 4.7 and SuSE Linux 8.1)

cheerss
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!

Hey trust not 123, wasn't Bill Gates that said, 256k memory should be enough for anyone. Now think 256k?!?!?!? Well its kinda the same scenario now, we think we won't use it, but it won't be long before they don't utilize. Being a gamer, thats great news at that speed.

That will help Video Games go into Virtual Reality faster. Which is great news.

<droooooool>
    a computer like that with the current software would simply be apocalyptic........it would be so damn fast it would blow your hair back....
    King of CaveMen it was 640M I think, about the same as a CD...er...might be wrong.
    </drooooool>
    <whipe>

- Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Antionline Herpetologist
    It was 640K. DOS used to use 640K as conventional memory and the rest as Extended (EMS) or Expanded (XMS). This was caused because the MS programmers just allocated 640K as the maximium memory that DOS could handle.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com