instant messaging insecurity

Thread: instant messaging insecurity

Banned

instant messaging insecurity

More worms and malware software exploiting this insecurity. Just thought I share this with everyone that uses instant messaging but this attacks mostly M$, here is the link to read more info
    but instant messaging is becoming less secure. http://www.online.securityfocus.com/infocus/1657

:-P

M$ maybe Bill will day get smart and become open source :evilgrin:hehe!!

if we had access to the windows code that word be the end of microsoft. id like to comment on the article but the link dosn't work for me,
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

If I remember correctly, MSN Messenger sends all its info (passwords included) as plain text. If thats so, then wouldnt it be amazingly easy to sniff out people's passwords, and basically capture whole conversations? I know this was true of MSNP7, because I have a hard copy of a doc explaing how to make a msn clone in VB. Does anyone know if they have since changed it to somehow protect transmissions?
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Well, they claim that the transfers and passwords can be contained, but simple line errors in the header of a message can retrieve a user's password. Sad, but true. I've found multiple s'kiddie programs online that allow user's to retrieve other user's password simply by offering a file transfer and screwing something in the header up. Something as simple as that, can retrieve passwords to MSN account's. Sick? Damn right...
    Space For Rent.. =]

Its stuff like this that makes me glad I only BS over MSN, instead of doing anything sensitive. I wonder how other IM services compare against MSN as far as security goes. I remember seeing all the programs for hijacking and torturing ICQ users, and I havent toucht that program since then.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

From what I heard, yahoo was the safest. I'm not sure, I've only used ICQ once but heard of loads of bugs and vulnerabilities in it and risks while using it. MSN is MSN ('nuff said) and AIM has had quite a few problems with file transfer's as well. I never heard much about yahoo's instant messanger program however, but that's JMHO.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Originally posted here by Syini666
    If I remember correctly, MSN Messenger sends all its info (passwords included) as plain text.
    Nope.. the passwords are encrypted.
    the MSN server first sends a key.
    the client (your client) adds your password to the key and does an MD5 of that.
    that gets send back.

not easy to crack (only brute force works)..

If thats so, then wouldnt it be amazingly easy to sniff out people's passwords, and basically capture whole conversations? I know this was true of MSNP7, because I have a hard copy of a doc explaing how to make a msn clone in VB. Does anyone know if they have since changed it to somehow protect transmissions?
    The chat messages can be sniffed (with ettercap or alike) and you can even inject on the stream. and send messages to someone pretending to be someone else..

There are a lot of weaknesses in the MSn system..

you can see that they build on a weak system and expanded it without ever doing a major 'rewrite'...

source: Venkydude and some rfc's and memo's collected by me
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !