source code question

Thread: source code question

source code question

As far as I understand open source software is the one in which the source code is available for others to view. I have Mandrake Linux and I would like to know where can I view the source code for this distro or any other distros?

Some distros have the source on a seperate CD. Since a distribution may have literally thousands of software titles, you may have to pick and choose what source you wanna see and possibly tweak.

For instance, you can download the kernel from and look for the latest. Untar the file and take a peek on the inner workings. Be prepared for a headache... there is hundreds of thousands of lines of code

Hope this helps

This link might help...

Linux Kernel Archives
    The primary site for latest Linux kernel source code.

Up-to-date information about the Linux kernel, patches, and general information.

The linux-kernel Mailing List FAQ
    Extensive list of questions and answers about the kernel. Compiled from the linux-kernel mailing list.

The Linux Kernel HOWTO
    The official HOWTO for the Linux kernel.

Linux 2.4 Kernel Patches
    Summaries written after each kernel release, comparing each patch file to determine what has changed.

Linux Device Drivers
    Written by Alessandro Rubini, this practical guide is for anyone who wants to support computer peripherals under the Linux operating system or who wants to develop new hardware and run it under Linux. It shows step-by-step how to write a driver for character devices, block devices, and network interfaces, illustrated with examples you can compile and run. Focuses on portability.

Linux Kernel Internals
    Written by Michael Beck, Harold Bohme, and Mirko Oziadzka, this book is a practical overview and guide to Linux kernel programming, providing a detailed exploration of the 32-bit operating system and how it works.

The Linux Kernel Book
    Written by Remy Card and Eric Dumas, and Franck Mevel, this book provides in-depth coverage of the internals of Linux 2.0. It provides a solid understanding of how this operating system works and the background needed to program system level applications. Includes CD-ROM with...Linux 2.0 operating system, Linux documentation, and Red Hat 4.1 implementation.

Linux 2.1 Changes File
    A HTML version of the Documentation/Changes file from the Linux kernel source.

Linux Kernel Version History
    Provides the known parameters of all releases of the Linux kernel from 1991 to the present release.

The Linux Kernel Hackers' Guide
    More information about the Linux kernel.

Linux Kernel Configuration Help Texts
    Help texts for configuring different versions of the Linux kernel.

Welcome to the Linux Kernel Source Tour
    A hypertext version of the Linux kernel source code.

The Linux Source Driver
    Another online version of the Linux source tree.

Linux Cross-Reference (LXR)
    A hypertext presentation of the Linux source code.
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Thanks everyone for your feedback I'll look into those links

c ya

I recall while in Barnes&Noble that they had different books with the Linux Kernel source code in it. It was title "The Linux Kernel" they even had different distro's. Maybe check online book stores if you prefer to have it print out .

i got an excellent book not too long ago called linux programming by example. if you know some c and a few data structures, its really easy to follow along and understand.
    U suk at teh intuhnet1!!1!1one