help with IE6 ... its for a friend
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: help with IE6 ... its for a friend

Question help with IE6 ... its for a friend

this isnt really for me, its for a friend. but i couldnt figure it out.

Melissa has windows XP and it no longer can open Internet explorer 6, the My computer folder, or the control pannel. she tried to reinstall IE. That did not work. Is there some way that she can fix this problem without having to reformat the HDD and start from scratch?

im not real up to date on what virus' are out there...but i do know she was running Kazaa Media Desktop which is prone to back door virus'.

Any help with this would be greatly appreciated by Melissa.
    [gloworange]Antyx[/gloworange] .. formerly lupdawg

Well, the few times I played around with Kazaa I noticed that it gave me all kinds of trouble when I tried to have Internet Explorer and Kazaa open at the same time. Basically, Internet Explorer would never work if Kazaa was up and running. So if I were you (or her), I would try to uninstall Kazaa then try to reinstall IE6. If that doesn't work, then you should try a complete virusscan of the system (not a bad idea anyway as long as your .DAT files are up-to-date), maybe a adware cleaner such as Ad-Aware, and also maybe a registry cleaner. Basically, a general cleanup of the system.

BTW, where is she trying to install IE6 from? Microsoft's website, or from a CD somewhere?

Just a side note, if she insists on running Kazaa she'll need to stay up-to-date with her virus .DAT files and make sure that she has a good HW or SW firewall running.
    - Maverick

she has the CD for Microsoft IE6..she got it with XP

The Iceman Cometh
    Maverick's suggestions are a great start: update your virus scanner though I would suggest removing Kazaa (for the time-being). If the problem goes away, try installing KaZaA Lite. If the problem persists, you may want to try simply reinstalling Windows XP over her current installation. I have done so for some clients and it resolved their problems. Just a thought.

AJ

what Maverick said is right but there is also other Web browsers availables in the market like netscape that i do really like it.
    And you can always go and check the computer of your friend online off course whenever you have the web browser available http://www.pandasoftware.com/actives..._principal.htm
    \"Knowledge is Power\"

Originally posted here by lupdawg
    she has the CD for Microsoft IE6..she got it with XP

If she has a decent connection to the Internet, she may want to try installing Internet Explorer via Microsoft's website. You first download an executable, then run the executable, it contacts Microsoft, downloads and installs the files. It doesn't take but a few minutes with a cable connection to the Internet.

Is there anything wrong with the CD itself?
    - Maverick

i personally have the IE6 update file downloaded from microsoft....i could give that to her, but would it be different than the Cd that she has? she says there isnt anything wrong with it...that she can tell.

Some Assembly Required ShagDevil's Avatar
    Lupdawg, I used Yahoo, typed in IE6 and Kazaa as the keywords and it linked me to a couple other message boards where this issue seems to plague alot of people. Interestingly enough, seems Mcafee may cause problems as well. I dunno. Check these links out, see if they help at all.

http://pub39.ezboard.com/ftaxsterfrm...icID=105.topic
    (or)
    http://forums.techguy.org/t84721/sd1...574a228ec.html
    The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his - George Patton

Well, if you download it from the web you'll be getting Internet Explorer 6.0 Service Pack 1 - the CD she has may not be SP1.. Getting it from the web ensures that you get the latest version - then it's just a matter of going and downloading the latest cumulative security patch, available from Microsoft's site as well.

To download the install program for IE6SP1: http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...1/download.asp

To download the latest ***. security patch:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/...al/default.asp
    - Maverick

Banned
    My thoughts 2 maverick, or try mozilla it's a good browser that I like. I had a simliar problem with Kazaa myself. I just delete it from system and reg also reinstall from M$ site and got another firewall. The problem never occur again. Use Kazaa Lite and don't share your Kazza files. There is a option when installing it to no set it to share files.