Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IP for FTP server

Question IP for FTP server

I have a FTP server on my computer but my IP address change every day.How I can keep the same IP without pay for a additionnal service FTP?

Thank for someone answer me

Antionline Herpetologist
    Your ISP probably uses DHCP to assign a new IP to you everytime you connect to the net. So all you can do is to keep changing the IP of any links to your ftp server. For example if you have 123.456.789.12 now and the next time you have 123.345.455.34, change any <a href=ftp://123.456.789.12> to <a href=ftp://123.345.455.34>. Or pay extra for a static IP.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Well, unless you pay for a static IP address, you'll probably not get one. However, check this link out, I think it could help you out:

http://www.dyndns.org/
    - Maverick

I have DHCP and a cable modem and I've discovered that if I leave my system on -my IP address rarely changes. That might not be your situation in which case Maverick's link above will help.

Cheers,
    -D
    If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

Originally posted here by dspeidel
    I have DHCP and a cable modem and I've discovered that if I leave my system on -my IP address rarely changes. That might not be your situation in which case Maverick's link above will help.

Cheers,
    -D

Yea, the same happens to me - I've had my cable modem over a year now and my IP address has only changed about 4 times that I know of...
    - Maverick

on my old cable connection I had the same IP address for 2 years because I never turned the router off.

With my DSL connection now I think I have changed IP's once in the last 10 months but that was due to a power failure that kept me offline for a couple of days.

Dyndns.org works well though as I have a couple of friends that use it.

El Diablo

Lightbulb

I have a ADSL connection with a Ethernet Hub and the DHCP change my IP one or two time every day.But a router can keep the same IP any time?

Thank to Maverick811 for this link http://www.dyndns.org/

If the provider wants to continually change it's users IP addresses, there isn't a whole lot that you can do about it. You can't really stop it from changing (that I know of), all you can do is compensate for the change with a service such as what is available at www.dyndns.org . If you get setup on there, that should do the trick for you, then you won't have to worry about your IP constantly changing.

And you are welcome, that's what we are here for!
    - Maverick

hi

also beware that some isps dislike their users running servers - the isp i previously worked for did, and disable accounts of the users that had servers running, with or without their knowledge.

regards,
    mark.
    \'hi, welcome to *****. if you would like to speak to an operator, please hang up now.\'
    * click *

If you don't mind a banner there is always http://www.cjb.net. It is a URL redirectior, and it works by updating your IP address on their servers then when someone types in your account and .cjb.net it sends them to the IP address they have on file