Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Outlook Help ASAP, Plz

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."

Outlook Help ASAP, Plz

Hi all-

If anyone could help me figure out out to expand email headers in Outlook 2000, I would be forever greatful.

Thank you in advance.

Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

I'm not sure if this helps?
    I hope it does?

-------------------------------------------------------
    Use Remote Mail to download headers and messages
    To use Remote Mail, you must set up your computer to connect with your e-mail server (e-mail server: A computer that stores e-mail messages.). Then, connect and download the message headers (message header: Summary information that you download to your computer to determine whether to download, copy, or delete the entire message from the server. The header includes these fields: Subject, From, Received, Importance, Attachment, and Size.) in your Inbox to decide which messages you want to download. Mark the message headers to download, to copy, or to delete messages. Then reconnect and download the messages.

If it is not set up already, set up your computer for Remote Mail

If you have not already done so, set up and start Microsoft Outlook on the computer you want to use from a remote location.
    On the Tools menu, point to Send/Receive Settings, and then click Define Send/Receive Groups.

In the list, click a group, and then click Edit.

In the list, select the Inbox check box.

Follow the instructions on your screen to create the Offline Folder file (.ost) (offline folder file: The file on your hard disk that contains offline folders. The offline folder file has an .ost extension. You can create it automatically when you set up Outlook, or when you first make a folder available offline.). If no instructions appear, Remote Mail is already set up.

When prompted to synchronize the selected folders to the new .ost, click OK.

Connect to a server and download message headers

On the Tools menu, point to Send/Receive, point to Work With Headers, and then point to Download Headers From.
    Click All Accounts or the specific account to download headers from.
    Mark message headers to download, copy, or delete messages

When you download messages, they are placed only on your computer. When you copy messages, a copy of the message is left on the server, and a copy is placed on your computer. When you delete messages, they are removed from both your computer and from the server. If you use a docking laptop, it is recommended that you download the messages instead of copying them.

Mark headers for messages to download from the server

In Inbox, right-click the header, and then click Mark to Download Message(s).
    Mark headers for messages to copy from the server

In Inbox, right-click the header, and then click Mark to Download Message Copy.
    Delete messages from your computer and from the server

In Inbox, click the item (item: An item is the basic element that holds information in Outlook (similar to a file in other programs). Items include e-mail messages, appointments, contacts, tasks, journal entries, notes, and posted items and documents.) to delete, and press DELETE. A red X will appear in the header column.
    Note You can select multiple items for deletion by holding down CTRL while clicking the messages, and then clicking DELETE.

Connect to the server and retrieve messages

On the Tools menu, point to Send/Receive, point to Work With Headers, and then point to Process Marked Headers From.
    Click All Accounts or the specific account to download headers from.
    Note When Microsoft Outlook connects to the server, it will only download the items (item: An item is the basic element that holds information in Outlook (similar to a file in other programs). Items include e-mail messages, appointments, contacts, tasks, journal entries, notes, and posted items and documents.) you marked. Any new e-mail delivery or folder synchronization continues to follow the Send/Receive group settings for each account.
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Just simply highlight the message in your inbox. Right click on it and select properties. Then, click on the Details tab.

Wow, i was completely wrong- i thought you were having a dificult problem? Had no idea it was that simple :-)
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    Thank you both for your help.

Unfortunately, neither method was successful.

Tampabay - Can't change the mail handling settings-@ work.

Confirmedkill - No "properties" option when I right click on the message in the inbox.

Try highlighting the message and hitting Alt and Enter. The, click on Details...That should do the trick....

theres a cool little app that might help.

pocketknife peek

with this you can "peek" into messages before you open them, look at mesage, html source and internet header info really easy.

install, restart outlook. hit the peek button in the upper left and a preview pane will open.
    you can then look at the different portions of it by hitting the tabs at the buttom of the preview.
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

Originally posted here by Conf1rm3d_K1ll
    Try highlighting the message and hitting Alt and Enter. The, click on Details...That should do the trick....
    Thank you, but I still don't seem to have anything that says details. Thank you for the effort, though!

Originally posted here by qwerty_smith
    theres a cool little app that might help.

pocketknife peek

with this you can "peek" into messages before you open them, look at mesage, html source and internet header info really easy.

install, restart outlook. hit the peek button in the upper left and a preview pane will open.
    you can then look at the different portions of it by hitting the tabs at the buttom of the preview.

I'll take a look at this. Thanks!

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Here is what you do:

1) Go in your inbox and double click the message to open it.
    2) From the pulldown menus, choose VIEW then OPTIONS
    3) On the bottom of this window you will see INTERNET HEADERS

This is what you are looking for.

You could try saving the mail to your HD somewhere or to floppy, your choice, then opening it with something like notepad...

Greg