GeForce on Linux Error

Thread: GeForce on Linux Error

GeForce on Linux Error

I am inexperienced with linux, I am trying to get games working on mandrake 9. I have an NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX 440 SE. I got the drivers from nvidia's website, NVIDIA_kernel-1.0-4180.tar.gz and NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4180.tar.gz. As per instructions in the README, I extracted them to a their respective folders and ran "make install" in each one. The kernel one ran through without an error, but then when i ran the install option in the GLX folder I got the output below, as well as a file called lib64 in my usr directory. I have no idea what the problem is, and it didn't refer to it specifically in the readme. please help.

[root@localhost NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4180]# make install
    Removing all old and conflicting files!
    rm -f //usr/lib64/libGL.*
    rm -f //usr/lib64/libGLcore.*
    rm -f //usr/X11R6/lib64/libGL.*
    rm -f //usr/X11R6/lib64/libGLcore.*
    rm -f //usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/extensions/libGLcore.*
    rm -f //usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/extensions/libglx.*
    Installing new drivers
    install usr/lib/libGL.so.1.0.4180 //usr/lib64
    install usr/lib/libGLcore.so.1.0.4180 //usr/lib64
    install usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers/nvidia_drv.o //usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/drivers
    install: cannot create regular file `//usr/X11R6/lib64/modules/drivers': No such file or directory
    make: *** [install] Error 1
    [root@localhost NVIDIA_GLX-1.0-4180]#
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

x acidreign x,

I hope this page help you installing the drivers. The tutorial is for Mandrake 8 but based on Mandrake 9 as well.

Good luck!!!

DKRR

I have never tried building these from a tar source ... no need.

I downloaded the Nvidia kernel and GLX drivers rpm's, the source ones, not the prebuilt ones for Mandrake 9. I rebuilt them with a rpm -rebuild NVIDIA-****.src.rpm which then plonked them in the /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i596 directory.

I then installed them with rpm -ivh NVIDIA***.rpm ... the kernel one first !! - making sure I was out of the X session first.

You must then edit your /etc/X11/XF86Config-4 file and make sure that you are loading the "nvidia" driver and not the "nv" driver in the device section. There are other changes that need to be made in your /etc/modules.conf file ..... if you use the rpm files these will be added automatically - but do check.

There is a good tutorial here: http://icculus.org/~dolson/mdkxp/?c=ttrls/nvidiacli

I downloaded the Nvidia kernel and GLX drivers rpm's, the source ones, not the prebuilt ones for Mandrake 9. I rebuilt them with a rpm -rebuild NVIDIA-****.src.rpm which then plonked them in the /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/i596 directory.

I then installed them with rpm -ivh NVIDIA***.rpm ... the kernel one first !! - making sure I was out of the X session first.
    I agree with Phat_Penguin here..if you can get RPM that make easier.. but if you have to compile tar (like myself), you can try this trick :
    1. You can run the NVchooser.sh file to see what kernel version you have and mate that to the kernel driver you need.
    2. I run "make" *FIRST*, and I do *NOT* run "make install" as the "readme nvidia site suggests", since you might have a snag once or twice in the compile, and then you could have issues if for some reason you reboot or try to cycle the X-server. Once both compiles are clean (no errors, though you might see one talking about the GNU license, disregard it). I edit the /etc/X11/ XF86Config-4 file just like the readme says (Find the Device section and replace line >> Driver "nv" or sometimes Driver "vesa" to Driver "nvidia". Find Module section and make sure you have this line >> Load "glx". You should also remove this lines >>Load "dri" and Load "GLcore" ) and once I am sure that the file is ready I run "make install" on the kernel driver, and then the GLX driver. After they are ready, I logout (I boot to the command prompt) and log back in, then restart X. You should now see "big the nVidia logo" in your screen , and then your normal desktop.

3. to check your nvidia after you reboot..go to your terminal shell and type this " glxgears" <<< you can type this command before you install and after you install nvidia driver ..so you know the differents between before you install nvidia driver and after you install nvdia driver (you will see nice rolling 3D pictures + Data FPS)

I hope this helps...
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!