Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which Linux system should I learn?

HaqZombie,
    for your older system, if you wanna put a redhat distro on it, anything above 7.1 or 7.2 would be pushing it if you want a GUI, if you upped the RAM in it to at least 64 meg you would have a rather stable and good system to run redhat 7.1 or 7.2 on, im speaking from experience having 7.1 on a cyrix 333 w/ 64 meg RAM

if youre thinking of redhat 8, i run it on a p-3 667 w/ a voodoo3 PCI and 256 meg RAM, i havnt had any problems with it at all, its actually a dell optiplex GX110, if you can find one of them on eBay and want a linux box which would be cheap id recommend one as the whole system is compatable as mentioned in the redhad compatability list

Hey thanx for the opinions...I'm going to check out that Suse site as well....now I just have to find a better system than that old one.
    I AM THE KING OF FRANCE!!!! NO I AM THE KING OF FRANCE!!!!

I had an easy time running and older version of SuSe on an old 200Mhz computer with 32MB of ram and a 7GB HD. I think the version i used was 7.3. It was easy to install and ran fairly well but i did use a pretty big swap space to try and help with speed. Something like 500MB or more i think.
    Ben Franklin said it best. \"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.\"

Thumbs up My thoughts and ideas

About a year ago I got very interested in the various operating systems available. I was interested in building my own operating system, but have since re evalutated my goal. Learning to use other operating systems is a great idea. The first linux-like operating system I experimented with was QNX , then I tryed Caldera's OpenLinux. A short time ago I was searching around for various distrobutions of linux and came across Linux From Scratch

Linux From Scratch (LFS) is a project that provides you with the steps necessary to build your own custom Linux system.
    I never did get around to trying it, as lately i have been involved in Windows development but it looks very interesting and IMO is worth takeing a look. As previously mentioned modifiying the linux source code is tedious and requires alot of background knowledge in not only programming but the inner workings of operating systems. Though I do not want to discourage you, I think for a start just getting familiar with *nix style operating systems is a great way to begin learning. If however you woud be interested in doing so, back when I was planing on building an operating system from scratch I did come across some resources that may be of some use to you, now or in the future

I myself don't use linux too often, but I thought I would share my thoughts anyway , I wish you luck.
    You never run out of things that can go wrong
    Quoted from:[glowpurple]Aston Shell[/glowpurple]

Hey thanks a lot...I'll check them out right now and let you know what I think I should do now.
    I AM THE KING OF FRANCE!!!! NO I AM THE KING OF FRANCE!!!!