Thread: Should I be worried about this traffic log?

Question Should I be worried about this traffic log?

I dont know should even require a second glance or if it is something important. I guess I am just confused on how this occured and if there is any cause for alarm. Our website traffic log shows the date and time as well as other information. The other day we had two hits at exactly the same time (down to the second) from similar yet different sources - see below:

Date & Time IP Browser OS Referrer
    13 Jan, Mon, 16:41:37 wcs1-x.x.x Netscape Other Google Search
    13 Jan, Mon, 16:47:37 wcs2-x2.x.x MSIE 5 Windows 2000 Google Search

I did a whois on the ip addresses and they both come up as the same government installation. How is this possible?

i wouldnt be too worried about it but I would like to point out the fact that there is a 6 minute difference between the two, so not exactly at the same time eh?
    Duct tape.....A whole lot of Duct Tape
    Spyware/Adaware problem click
    here

sorry that was a typo on my end. They should both read 16:41:37. Sorry

I woulnt worry much, even government people surf the net for the hell of it. I've seen entries in a trafic log on my site from many governemnt agencies, and they have never ammounted to anything, and the site even deals with how to make spudguns!
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

There is basically two reactions you can adopt:
    1. You become suddenly highly paranoid. Believe that the governement want to arrest you, hide the ultimate true and so on (see the "conspiracy" movie for more details).
    2. You understand it's only one or two bored government employees who want to relax. In this case you can decently say that your tax are not well employed.

Even if the first security rule is "always be paranoid". Don't forget to keep your calm. An excess of paranoia will not help you.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

I have gotten over my initial paranoia over this. I am, however, still confused as to how this was possible. How can the site get hit from two operating systems with two IPs at the same exact time? Is one just checking up on the other? I don't understand...anyone have any ideas?

blankmeyer > You can probably just chalk it up to chance really. Anything is possible after all. Also you might want to clear up your last post a bit, I dont get the whole "one checking up on the other" part, but that could just be me being slow
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I'm sure that everyone here who admins a firewall, IDS or webserver consistantly get simultanious hits. This is not abnormal by any stretch. My advice would be to read up on TCP connections. You'll quickly see why this "anomoly" isn't something to worry about.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden