Thread: ¿Emulating BSD?

¿Emulating BSD?

Hello everyone :-)

I’m trying to emulate FreeBSD at work… I just wanted to make sure that I’m not going to break anything in the process. I’m using VMWare… I hoping that VMWare will keep everything contained, so’s not mess with win2k pro’s junk… Just wanted to know your thoughts / experiences… Thanx a lot guys/gals :-)

Ok, i read a lil' and the OS will stay contained in what vmWare calls virtual machine files... That's not the problem- i'm having a hard time mounting my drives, keeps getting Bus error... anyway- i guess i'm out of luck... darn- have to wait till i get home to BSD running again :-(

Anyhelp?
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...

Alright, i've decided that it is impossible to emulate BSD with VMWare... Prolly not, but i give up...

FreeBSD is actually very easy to use from vmware. You should not have many problems with it at all, but you will need the VMware tools installed unless you don't want X.

The vmWare tools (or so says the help file) should be installed after the OS is installed? I keep getting write errors when it's trying to unpack everything?

What do you mean by write errors, can you post the exact message?

How did you get the vmware tools to the BSD box? If it was an FTP, make sure you transferred in binary...not ASCII

Maybe i should clear some things up,

The host machine is win2k pro
    Guest is FreeBSD 4.7 mini

I've been having lots of problems, in fact too many to explain in the post... I plan on contacting vmware, and seeing what kind of support i can get on this issue... if i find anything interesting, i will report back- but it's most likely me being dumb...

I've allocated about 500MB to each partition (/, /var, swap)
    The /usr partition has one gig...

I'm trying to run the minimal install, do i have enough space allocated?

What exactly your problem is... if you don't mind posting your error. Have you got one of this problem: You can install freebsd in your windows using vmware but you cannot start your X server or you cannot install freebsd at all??

Have you check out this link http://www.vmware.com/support/gsx2/d...eebsd_gsx.html if you follow instruction carefully ...it is possible to install freebsd in windows using vmware.

I hope this helps
    Not an image or image does not exist!

Ok, I think my problem may be the CD ( I don’t know why, but at this point I’m willing to try anything…) So I’ve downloaded the ISO from ftp.freebsd.org (I’m trying to emulate FreeBSD 4.7 mini). Hopefully this works, if not- I’ll post the errors, maybe a screen shot, maybe someone has had this problem before… Maybe I should have mentioned that I’m getting the error while installing BSD on the new virtual machine. I use BSD at home and have never seen problems like this- that leads me to believe it’s the vmware? Who knows- Thanx for any input :-)

I had freeBSD 4.7(not the freeBSD mini one..) in my windows around 3 months ago using vmware, but I've already dumped vmware and I've migrated to freeBSD instead using vmware. I think you shouldn't have problem with your freebsd 4.7 mini(I haven't try this one ) if you follow instruction on that link , but well ..it's good to try that I hope you don't have problem with that
    Good luck..