Thread: WinXP cd-key change

Exclamation WinXP cd-key change

i found this article and thought it would be an interesting read. but i believe this would cause a lack of security as M$ cannot keep track of which product is where and how many there are ??

[quote]SP1 will disable Windows Update and certain features of XP running the Product ID codes:

XXXXX-640-0000356-23XXX
    XXXXX-640-2001765-23XXX

To check what Product ID you are running, go:
    START --> RUN --> type: regedit --> ENTER --> browse to /Software/ Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion --> key name "ProductID"

To replace your Product ID/code/serial number, follow these steps:
    1. Run a system restore to create a new checkpoint (just in case).
    2. Run regedit and go to: HKey_Local_MachineSoftwareMicrosoftWindowsNTCurrent VersionWPAEvents
    3. Double click key "oobetimer" and modify at least one digit of this value to deactivate Windows.
    4. START --> RUN --> type: %systemroot%system32oobemsoobe.exe /a --> Activation Screen should pop up.
    5. Select second option, "Activate By Phone"
    6. In the new screen, choose the option to change Product Key and type in the new product key (only corporate keys will work).
    7. If it brings you back to the prior screen after entering the new key, check "Remind Me Later" and then reboot.
    8. Close the "Activation Screen" and reboot your system. Enter the command from steps 2-3 again to verify your installation activation. You should see "Windows is already activated."
    9. Install SP1. You are safe. [\quote]
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----

Microsoft actually brougth this out in the open in kb article Q328874 .

Antionline Herpetologist
    I'm sorry about the negs, but this is NOT the kind of place to post this kind of stuff. OK, you know how to do it. Fine, you're using a pirated copy of WinXP (maybe not). But there's a time and a place for everything. No one would have thought twice if you'd said something about this on IRC, but this isn't a pirates hang out and this amounts to the posting of a crack or a crack site.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

woah, cgkanchi i didnt post this to tell everyone how to crack windows. i asked a question whether this is a vulnerablility. plus you need a valid cd key to use this and a valid cd key to install windows in the first place. see this:
    - Trying is the first step towards failure. the moral is never try.
    - It\'s like something out of that twilighty show about that zone.
    ----Homer J Simpson----