Load balancing(sharing knowledge!)

Thread: Load balancing(sharing knowledge!)

Post Load balancing(sharing knowledge!)

guys,

I'm looking for info & peronnal feedback about load balancing.
    I have a double connection to ISP and I'd like to optimize my flows & throughput.
    thanx,

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
    here follows my poor knowlegde on the subject, I'll be happy if some of you guys can complete it:

- EIGRP:
    problem 1- the ISP shall support the protocol and allow EIGRP for interconnecting its customer
    problem2 - EIGRP is a proprietary CISCO protocol. So the use of linux or other manufactor routers are impossible

- OSPF: often OSPF implementations allow a very poor level of load balancing. with 2 options:
    Option 1: one packet through link#1, one packet through link#2, one packet through link#1, ....
    Flow are submitted to potential huge gigue & that could conduct to a very bad throughput for TCP flows (slow start, ...)
    Option 2: Flow to destination IP net A through link#1, Flow to destination IP net B through link#2, Flow to destination IP net C through link#3, ...
    The algorythm do not depend of required bandwidths per flow, si link#1 could be overloaded and link#2 not (e.g. 10% loaded)

- MPLS: ISP restricts their MPLS perimeter to routers they own, otherwise their is a security risk to their management VPN/VRF
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

oh boy...here we go again...JK

I don't think any of these is a good option. I would personally look at BGPv4.

EIGRP and OSPF are not really used for Exterior routing protocols and should be used within your network. Also, are you talking about this for a home network or a business? If it is not for a large company, good luck getting your ISP to cooperate.

If you are using the same ISP for both circuits, it doesn't really make any sense to even attempt what you are talking about. The best way to increase your throughput (which is what I am assuming you are trying to do, is by mux'ing your circuits. On the other hand, if you are just trying to provide a failover link, floating static routes would work just fine.

Hello,

I agree with iNViCTuS, EIGRP and OSPF are not intended for pubil network and BGPv4 is quite tricky to use just for load balancing, so really check if have to do it or not otehrwise get a "cheap" cisco router and use EIGRP...
    if you do have a linux box i think that there might be some routing open source code out there ...
    assembly.... digital dna ?

I have to say that I agree with both of you!

I think that Load balancing may be not issued at the transport level. But maybe at the application level using servers & CDN technos.

I am not very aware of these technos or product!
    Any idea?
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

Here is the open source product that will do what you are looking for:

http://www.zebra.org/