Thread: Close_wait?????

every time when i go to command prompt and type in "netstat" i get this .....

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
    TCP mycomputer CLOSE_WAIT

the foreign address is using port 80...wait here is what i get when i type in "netstat -n"....

Proto Local Address Foreign Address State
    TCP xxxxxxxxxxx:1028 CLOSE_WAIT

I actually checked out and it was a like an ISP website, but why do i always get their address even when i restart the computer or when i'm not opening any Internet windows. (I'm using road runner btw).

Can someone give me a explanation of why this is happening?

perhaps it is because of adware?

have you installed any shareware or supposed freeware lately?

perhaps you have one which is set to start up when windows does, and the adware side tries to get to that website.

\'hi, welcome to *****. if you would like to speak to an operator, please hang up now.\'
    * click *

I use to socket programming but its been awhile so I did some research on the state CLOSE_WAIT and came up with:
    Sockets stay in CLOSE_WAIT forever on Win 95/98/Me due to the bug;q229658/
    from -if your not developing this not a solution but I thought you might find it useful.

If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked. What\'s more, you deserve to be hacked.
    -- former White House cybersecurity adviser Richard Clarke

Try using something like TCP View to track the connection in real-time. This way, you will be able to see what application may be initiating the connection. I hope that helps you at least a little. Take care. Let us know if you need any additional help.

Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

If you haven't done so, you might download and install some free software to help harden your system. There are many programs to choose from but here are a few:

Ad Aware -- scans for adware and removes it
    ZoneAlarm -- free firewall for personal use

Run Fport from - you will be able to tell if the app using the connection is one you expect...

.....Brain Failure....dumping core.... z z z

thanks guys.

actually i've never installed any freeware nor shareware, but maybe it is an ad.

when i get home from work today, i will try all the suggestions voiced. I will let you know what happens.

thanks for the help.

CLOSE_WAIT means you have been connected to a remote host and it has been given the kill signal and it is waiting to close the connection
    by the looks of it it has been a webserver you have been conected to

TCP xxxxxxxxxxx:1028
    the xxxxxxx being you're ipaddress the 1028 being the port that has sent the siganl to the webserver is the address of the webserver and the port you have been connected to ie the http port so this leads me to belive it is a webserver there doesent seem to be a whois entry on this address though it shouldnt be anything to worry about though
    try running ad-aware just in case
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work