G4 PowerBook vs. Other Lappy

Thread: G4 PowerBook vs. Other Lappy

Banned

G4 PowerBook vs. Other Lappy

Well its been a long while since I have posted last. But I have a little Delema on my hands... kind of.

Currently I have 2 servers which I am selling because I have no time for them and they are a waiste of money at the moment.

So I was thinking of buying a laptop, but the average laptops dont apeal to me at all, they have like NO power, and the ones that do weigh like a TON.

So I was taking a look at the PowerBook G4 and was thinking about loading OSX, GenToo Linux, and maybe some other nice OS on it as well....

I want to get the upsides and downsides of the Mac PowerBook in coparison to a good PC lappy...

Please dont let this thread turn into an "I hate MAC!" Thread.... because thats not what it is.

That powerbook is actually a great Computer. I envy all of the people that have them here at work. Power is exceptional. Compare it to a PC, don't know it's like comparing apples and oranges. It is great to have them both. I have a pc laptop but can't justify my spending $2500-$3000 dollars on a good powerbook. If you can afford them they are great I would rather spend that money on other things.

I personaly like the Powerbook G4..

A friend of mine has one and I must say that MacOs X is the mest thing ever to happen to an Apple since Eve gave one to Adam..
    It runs smooth is able to run a lot of native unix apps and supports all the goodness of the X-Window system.

If you run linux on the Powerbook there is realy only one issue, the audio.
    The sound seems to be realy hard to get to work, and once running sound deamons like Artsd and esound seem to have some trouble (something with little vs big endian)..

But overall I'd say go for it !!

I've seen a new Ghz Powerbook G4 marketed in the US for close to $ 1000,-
    And it performs like no other laptop I have used !
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Banned
    I definately want to get it, but everyone in IRC has been prejudice against me getting an apple... Im just really thinking if there are any big disadvantiges...

I will end up keeping this 300 something MHz system i have here so that if i ever really NEEEEED to run a Windows app or anything like that I have something, but the PowerBook will be my main machine.

As far as sound goes, that problem will probably occor on most linux installs, but I dont think that will happen with the YellowDog linux if I use that since YellowDog was tailored to the PowerPC and not just ported to it.

The only thing is that Im scared to buy this 1GHz G4, and then in like 3 or so months have apple come out with a BRAND SPANKIN NEW processor that will kick the G4's ass.... so I dont know, i think im going to go read some press releases to see if apple is planning a new processor release anytime soon... and if not, **** it ill go for it, worse comes to worse ill eBay it back for a few hundred cheeper and then get the newer model

Dome: I really like the PowerBooks. They look cool (fresh bright colors) and they do have an awesome OS. I have played with some of the PowerBooks and IMACS and have found them to really be kinda sluggish compared to my Windows box or laptop.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Well about CPU's power in SETI@Home (a very good programme to test your CPU's power) has on its statistics and top 100 PowerBook G4 is in better place than P4 Northwood RDRAM, Sun UltraSPARC-III and Athlon Thunderbird DDR. Nice choice.

ii-monk: Thats interesting. I was playing with my friends IMAC and the OS just seemed slower than Windows 2k. Things seemed to respond slower. He did have a 1Gig G4 processor too.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Banned
    dude screw thoes guys...no offense but i think mac is better, even though i use a win pc. go with what ur heart, head and wallet agreese with. but i say mac cause they are really good and u dont get their verson of the blue screen of death near as much as on a win pc