regarding inatalling win 2000

Thread: regarding inatalling win 2000

Question regarding inatalling win 2000

hi there...i was trying to install win 2000 on my new PC with a perfectly good formatted HDD...BUT DUE TO INGNORANCE i installe dit on all my drives..(c,d.e&f)...now so i tried to delete them except for the one on C....my wuestion is..how do i do it......

How do you mean you have installed it on every drive ?
    Did you install for like four times ?

yeah...thats what i did...regrerfullly

In that case you can reformat the drives on which you did not want to have it installed and then edit your boot.ini to point only to the valid install.

atually i have done that..i have reformatted d,e &f drives by right clicking on them in MY COMPUTERand selecting format......but the win 2000 refuses to go from my boot up screen.....i.e. it appears 4 times when i boot my computer and prompts me to select any one of the four...if i select the ones i have reformated it will ofcourse ask me to install the win 2000 cd and all that....so now my question is how do i make win 2000 coming 4 times on my bootup screen dissapear.....THX in advance...
    P.S-i am a newbie so a bit by bit detailed advice would be really appreciated..thx

Edit the boot.ini file that is hidden in your c:.
    Take all off the incorrect ones out and set the default to the correct location.

Warning (taken from MS online help)

Modifying the Boot.ini file incorrectly may prevent your computer from restarting.

----
    If you are not sure about editing boot.ini read the following link:
    Q311578.

thx for the help noodle....will let u know what happens...

Antionline Herpetologist
    What you have to do is go to start->run and type cmd in there. Type the following:
    c:
    cd\
    attrib -h boot.ini
    edit boot.ini
    It should read something like this:

[boot loader]
    timeout=10
    default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
    [operating systems]
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect
    multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(3)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows 2000" /fastdetect
    Under Operating systems, delete all the multi(0)... lines except the first one.

Rembember to make a backup of the boot.ini first and only do this if you don't mind taking the risk of reinstalling your whole system.
    Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

thx to prompt feedback from u guys ......the problem is solved......antionline is the best.....what makes it so great are cool guys like you...thank u all very much