Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: ergh, UNIX help please

Angry ergh, UNIX help please

OK, my brother called me up at 1 AM ranting about how insane our parents were because they wouldnt let him put Solaris on the computer WITH their windows, thinking it would damage it. Hes gonna check this post regularly, so, could you guys tell him how to put it on and how he can do it without mom and dad noticing? I DONT want him waking me up at 1 o clock again

THanks,
    PilotZeroX
    Of all the things I\'ve lost, I miss my mind the most -Ozzy Osbourne
    CEREAL KILER!!!! HACK DAZ PLANET!!!!!!(sorry, movie rules, i know weve all seen it, and most of it is bullshit, but whatever)
    [glowpurple]Pï£0T ZéR0 X[/glowpurple]

Hi,

Mmm... i won't do that. Why don't you just buy another hard disk to install your own OS and Solaris? Although installing Solaris in your parents HD won't harm it, maybe you can convince them using different HDs if they don't now much about partitions, etc. This way you will have your OS separated. But try not to lie to them.

Bye.

he needs to know HOW to do the partition, etc. I dont feel like talkin to him, so you gota splain it. Hell really like it if he can figure it out. The HD thing wont work, hes gotta have a partition. And he needs to know how you can interchange between solaris and windows, and what else hes gotta do.

THanks,
    PilotZeroX
    CEREAL KILER!!!! HACK DAZ PLANET!!!!!!(sorry, movie rules, i know weve all seen it, and most of it is bullshit, but whatever)

Try doing a dual boot with a the system not asking which OS to start with.
    I mean the system starts with Windows default, until you press F8 or something.
    That's the best bet, otherwise, get some software engineer who your parents trust to your home and make 'em convinced Unix is better than Windows and will crash less often.

Edit : Why Unix ? Try Mandrake Linux 8 .
    \"I have a 386 Pentium.\"

He insists on Solaris 9, cuz he spent 8 hours dling it. SOOOOO, solaris will tell you what key to press to boot it? And does it require a partition?

Thanks,
    PilotZeroX

Tell you brother to check google, you may want to as well yourself.

I've only installed Solaris once on a PC, and I got the impression that it is trickier than Linux
    to set up a dual boot with windows. (Linux being fairly easy) If it is his first attempt to install Solaris, it would be suicidal to try dual boot with an existing system already installed,
    and doubly suicidal to think he could do it without other users being painfully aware of the change.

Even if he pulled it off without a hitch, no dual bootloader is invisible, because it would
    have to appear on the screen first, to give you a choice of OS.

Tell him to buy his own computer.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

I'd have to agree with everyone else about gettin' a diff comp or new HD, but you could always leave off the boot loader and boot from disk, that way nothing would pop up and Win wouldn't be able to recognize the partition that Solaris is on. . .only way your folks would know is if they knew how big their HD was and noticed that it was suddenly smaller. . .you'd have to resize the partition that win is on first, of course, lots of products for that.
    Every now and then, one of you won't annoy me.

The Iceman Cometh
    I agree with rcgreen here. I played around with Solaris for a while, and it was a b*tch to configure with Windows. I think he should just go out and buy a cheap computer at Walmart or at some online retailer. Also, I'd suggest starting with an easy Linux distro before moving to Solaris... it'll be a lot easier to learn for someone who has no *nix experience.

AJ

Originally posted here by PilotZeroX
    He insists on Solaris 9, cuz he spent 8 hours dling it. SOOOOO, solaris will tell you what key to press to boot it? And does it require a partition?

Thanks,
    PilotZeroX
    I'm afraid I must interject a short editorial here. Your brother spends 8 hours downloading a pure flavor of Unix that isn't native to the i686 architecture, and he has no understanding of disks or partitions? His attempt is doomed to failure.

First of all, Solaris was never optimized for the i686 architecture. It was designed for...surprise, surprise, the SPARC architecture. While the i686 version exists, I would recommend it only for seasoned system administrators who would understand the differences and who would be able to recognize a hardware related inconsistency.

Secondly, your brother seems to be lacking a great deal of common sense if he thinks he can secretly install ANY secondary OS on a system, especially if the original OS is Windows. The only way I can think of to have a secondary OS on a system without seeing a bootloader is to install the alternate OS first, and Windows second. Then use a floppy boot disk with the bootstrap to the alternate OS to load it. Windows hates not owning the MBR.

Finally, you allude to the idea that you already know what he should do:

he needs to know HOW to do the partition, etc. I dont feel like talkin to him, so you gota splain it.
    Why the hell do we have to "splain" it? If you know how to do this, explain it yourself. If you don't know and want our suggestions, then ask us. Your story just sounds ridiculous.
    /* You are not expected to understand this. */