need help to setup a wireless lan network

Thread: need help to setup a wireless lan network

need help to setup a wireless lan network

I want to setup a wireless LAN network between two places which are 2 km apart.....so pls tell me the requirements to establish such a network....and how much it would cost....cost is a major factor(400$ is my limit)........thx.

check this: http://www.networkmagazineindia.com/200207/buying.shtml
    (prices in Rupees ;-))
    also this one: http://www.80211-planet.com/tutorial...le.php/1453261

2 km are quite a long distance: I think you'll need an extra antenna...
    \"Knowledge is the Real Power\"

The Iceman Cometh
    I'm not sure about the regulations in your country, but in the United States, the FCC has regulations in place which restrict transmission of signals over a large distance. If you want to do such a set up in the US, you'd have to purchase a wireless access point for both locations, signal amplifiers on both sides and external antennaes (such as a Yagi). Once you have the equipment, you would have to attempt to get a license from the FCC to allow you to transmit the data over the specified frequency. To get such a permit would be difficult because such transmission could cause interference with other similar set ups. Additionally, such a set up would be extremely insecure because anyone with an external antennae could hijack your signal. I would recommend just setting up a VPN or a similar set up.

AJ

thank u for the info.

Also, you could try seaching the AO forum for info on wireless networking...I know I've had to start a few threads about them...