Thread: Ports Packets and Protocols Tutorial

Thumbs up Ports Packets and Protocols Tutorial

Greets.
    Wow haven't posted on here for a really long time. Well I'm going to try and change that.

Anyways I've written my first tutorial called "P^3: Ports Packets and Protocols". It's a couple of pages long and covers the basics of each. For the protocols it's such a large subject that I just did a brief over view of what they are and some smart techniques when dealing with them (defense whise) and will probably write protocol specific tutorials at a later time.

Hope you guys like. Any comments, suggestions, tweakes, etcetera are greatly appreciated.

ach it didn't attach the file
    oh well you can just get the .doc from here:
    http://grungir.tripod.com/PortsPacketsProtocols.doc

Thanks

Um, i think you need to find a way to attach the file, or perhaps copy and past it to the message, because tripod apparantly wont let me download the file. Just letting you know...

/edit

don just told me he could download it, but for some reason, it wont allow me, is anyone else having this problem?

/another edit

apparantly im just dumb or soemthing, all I had to do was click Save Target As. Now I'm left wondering why tripod will allow that, but not to download directly from them??? From one problem to another I guess...
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

I would mention that you can only sniff packets on the segment on which you reside. Unless of
    course you were able to pipe one over to another computer :-)
    Secondly I would mention a couple of tools that may be used to pipe over a canned exploit to
    a certain port ie: netcat, hping,...
    Thirdly I would mention that often OS's ship with ports that need not be open such as port 80
    3128 and the like. If you are not running a web server or other type of server that they should
    shut em down.
    Beyone that not bad for an intro tute.

why dont you delete this thread and post it in tutorials. it will show in your profile that your a contributing member and be listed on the index of tutorials so more can benifit from it...just my opinion
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

To Everyone: thank you for your input. It has been valuable and I'll heade your suggestions.

Tedob1: i did not see/know that i had this option. I'll poke at the site a bit more to try and find it. Thank you.
    To be God is to be Root, if someone is erking you just type: rm -d /home/heathen

i got this doc file ,but i couldnt manage to open it. by the way which encoding method is this file using?. tried ms-dos , windows , others but in vain. i m using windows xp and office xp.i hope some1 can give suggestion to open it .
    thanks in advance

mani: I wrote it on my WinXP machine using Word. Weird that you can't open it.
    I'm going to be replacing the .doc with a .pdf as soon as I make some of the tweakes/additions that some of the AO people mentioned.
    I'll let you know when it's up.
    To be God is to be Root, if someone is erking you just type: rm -d /home/heathen

Link is dead