Thread: The frozen computer.

Developer Extraordinar

Exclamation The frozen computer.

Hey, I need all your help for something, I just moved from Windows to Linux to server unError.com, now here's my problem. I downloaded AMSN and it worked fine for awhile, but then, one day, I booted up amsn, click log on as blahblah@blah.com and it started loging me in, then...BAM it froze, so I said "Ahh **** it" and just used gaim instead, then I wanted to play bzflag with one of my friends, I loaded it up, it was laoding all the stuff needed and BAM agian. It freezes, and then my services for my ircd go down, I delete them and and rebuilt them, in the process of running "make" it freezes, I reboot, try agian, and freezes agian, then I try one last time and it finnaly work.

So, I went into my computer, reset the battery, and the BIOS, re-loaded it, checked the bois, everything, tried running them with nothing running. Everything, someone suggested buying a new fan, but I'm not sure, anything I should check or do before going and buying a new fan? Thanks in advanced.

Lates

MicroBurn

MB,

Freezing and hanging could be due to many different problems. But the most frequently are overheating, video card issues, and memory issues too!!! So, try checking your memory cards then.

Good luck.

DKRR

Developer Extraordinar
    I've tried replacing the RAM, with the RAM in my dad's computer (which is stable) and it still froze, I'm kind of leaning towards Overheating now...but if you any suggestion on what I should check, please, tell me.

Lates

MicroBurn

MB,

There's a guide to overheating from Intel P4 processors here and another one for other processors and any component here

They suggest to get an "overheating testing tool" because it coul be due not only becasue of your processor but any other component.

I really don't know what else could be making your system get freezing so maybe someone else can help you with more ideas.

Bye.

DKRR

Developer Extraordinar
    Well, I got it to work! I had to open up the computer, clean it out. Adjust the fan, mess arounf with the BOIS, amoug other things, but it's working now. :-) and I'm happy.