Thread: Xupiter spywear removal HELP!

Xupiter spywear removal HELP!

This spywear is driving me crazy, I've been online looking on how to remove it totally, but everything I've found out there contradicts itself. Can anyone give me instructions or a link so I can kill this evil program!

Thanks

Hi,

Hope this helps you:

----------

Xupiter has no uninstall function. Spybot S&D update 2002-09-22 and Ad-Aware reffile 042-24-09-2002 can remove it, however.

Manual removal

Open the registry (from the Start menu, click Run and enter regedit) and find the key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run. Delete the 'XupiterStartup' entry.

Open a DOS command prompt window (Start->Programs->Accessories) and enter the following commands to deregister the toolbar.

cd "%WinDir%\System"
    regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Xupiter\Updates\XupiterToolbar.dll"
    regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Xupiter\Updates\XTUpdate.dll"
    regsvr32 /u "C:\Program Files\Xupiter\Updates\XTSearch.dll"

(If your Program Files folder is something other than 'C:\Program Files' - for example because you have installed on a different drive or you are using a non-English version of Windows, you will have to change the commands accordingly. You may also not need the last line, if you have an older version of the software without the XTSearch.dll file, so do not worry if this command gives an error.)

Restart the computer and you should be able to delete the Xupiter folder in Program Files. You can now restore your home page (Internet Options->General->Home page) and your search settings (Internet Options->Programs->Reset web settings). You can also delete the registry keys HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Xupiter and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Code Store Database\Distribution Units\{A27CFCAE-9351-4D74-BFFC-21EB19693D8C} to clean up if you wish.

----------

See it here

Bye.

DKRR

Hey Hey

Ad-Aware is what I always use....Finds everything for me.. and usually a fair amount. It's a hand lil program, and it's free.. Check it out.

Thank you both. . you've both been very helpful . . That ad-aware is pretty kewl.....
    Because I am a woman, I must make unusual efforts to succeed. If I fail, no one will say, "She doesn't have what it takes"; They will say, "Women don't have what it takes".
    Clare Boothe Luce

I use Spybot Search and Destroy to remove it and I've had to remove xupiter twice now...It's sneaky...lol. I don't have a link handy, try searching for it on Google. The only thing I would say about it is that you need to be careful, cause it gives you lots and lots of stuff you can remove, and some of it you don't want to remove. If you don't know what it is, chances are you don't want to remove it.

Deb
    Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.

If you go to Tools -> Internet Options -> Security -> Restricted Sites -> Sites, you can add xupiter.com, gator.com, and any other scumware to the list. After you add them, you shouldn't ever get them again, since putting them in the Restricted Sites zone should prevent IE from running anything from them again.

like 65_289 said you can remove it all you want. but if you keep going back to the same site its just going to keep reinstalling itself unless you prevent it. you really shouldn't allow activeX controlls to run without prompting to begin with. when enough people put them on the restricted list they'll just change their domain name. i know its a pain in the ass to keep hitting the space bar or enter for ever control that trys to run but being here your supposed to be security minded.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Just for more info, we had a discussion about this the other day:

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=238776
    - Maverick