Thread: BIOS not saving changes

Post BIOS not saving changes

Whenever I make changes to the BIOS like enabling a floppy drive or changing the boot sequence and save my changes, my computer then restarts but the changes that I made were not saved. What could be causing this and how can I get it to save my changes. Thanks in advance.

coVert

I'm just gonna take a stab in the dark here cuz I hate hardware, but oh well.

Could it be your battery? If the battery was dead, when the comp lost power, there would be no way to save the changes that are stored on the CMOS.

if it does turn out to be the battery, do you use the system on a regular basis?
    if you have, id be considering a new battery or a new mobo coz a BIOS problem can lead to all sorts of nasties occuring

if you havnt used this box for a while or not very often, some people have cured this by firing it up and leaving the box running for a few hours to get some charge into your BIOS battery so that it can keep the data stored on the chip...

hope this suggestion will help ya out

coVert,

HTRegz and mrleachy advices are the best way to follow. One more could be, and i don't know what your knowledge about cmputers is but just if you are experienced enough, you can try reseting your BIOS configuration changing the determined jumper looking at your motherboard manual. Computers get crazy sometimes (hehe!!! ) so maybe doing this could help getting all back to normality again. Perhaps a BIOS upgrade could help too but i really don't recommend it after some friends painful experiences because if the upgrade goes wrong then there's no way to go back or it's almost impossible.

Good luck!!!

DKRR

Thanks guys, I am gonna try the new battery and see if that works. I do use this computer quite often and haven't replaced the battery in about 3 years. BTW what is the usual life span of the batteries and are they expensive.

coVert

Banned
    If changing the battery and checking the jumpers (a set of 3 --x is what you want, x-- is reset, -xx or xx- is not good. check to see if jumper is loose), then here's two suggestions that *might* help (if you even have these options in your BIOS.

1.Bump the FSB down to 92 or lower, or
    2.Change the halt on errors value to = none

Hope something helps....

just about the battery lifespans, i know someone with a p-133 and as far as i know it stil has the original battery judging by the layer of dust he has inside of it when i put a new drive in for him, ive never heard of a battery die after only 3 years, longest id have had a mobo would be about 4 years and never had problems

else
    cout << "Try to upgrade your BIOS!";

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar
    Has anyone ever changed the cmos reset jumper setting. This is also a great way to eliminate a disgruntled employee password protecting in the bios.
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

Regal Making Handler
    Don't want to insult your inteligence but having made changes to your bios & then saving changes you should be asked again if you want to save changes. On mine for example if i hit F10 ( exit & save changes) i get a dialog box that asks "save changes N" if i hit enter the changes arn't saved. I have to hit Y enter for changes to take place.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry