Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Router/Hub decision to be made

Router/Hub decision to be made

I've been thinking about setting up a network, and I need to know something, is it true that if I use a hub, that only one computer will be able to go online at a time? I've heard that hubs can not share an internet connection, and though I'm pretty sure this is the case, I'd really appreciate some confirmation. Thanks.

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    No, hubs most certainly can share a connection. Now, If this connection is on a dial up modem, then its definetly not going to work very fast, although theoretically it will work. Hubs, or most common ones, have 4 ports on them. Basically, you can connect the main computer that dials into the internet to hub 1. You make all the other computers dive into that. With a hub you may need to make your main connecting computer go.. internet------computer----hub----(where ever)--comp 1 or comp2 (up to 3 others). This hub will just bring the computers together, although you still have to set up all other boxes that make a connection. A Hub is almost like a router, although a hub wastes bandwitdh more, and is generally dumber than a router. With a router you just put it net----router-- comp 1, 2, 3, 4 whatever. A router will store your login info and sign in whenever needed. Personally I have a WiFi router, that connects my laptop, my widows 2k box, and my linux box together. I hope to have my open bsd box up soon.

good luck...

xmaddness

Choosing between a hub or a router depends on the ISP you're connecting threw, unless you want the hardware firewall provided by some routers.
    Usually though it is nicer to go with a switch, rather than a hub, they'll function the same for a SoHo network but the switch will mean less collisions, which is nice if you decide to do LAN Gaming. When I had cable I had a router because we only had 1 IP and had to pay extra for additional IPs and i personally hate ICS. Now that we have DSL we've replaced the router with a hub because each computer can connection to the DSL individually and have it's own IP, which makes a lot of inet functions easier. I have friends with routers, that have problems setting up a lot of servers and such because they're behind the router. So personally if your ISP gives you multiple IP addresses, go with a hub/switch.

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Hi,

I have a 4 - port router on my cable modem.
    I´ve purchased it because my provider works with DHCP and very short leases,
    so now I don't have to let my PC 24/7 up and running to maintain the same IP-adress,
    which I need to set up VPN - connections.

I personally would go for a router with local DHCP-function, because not only you can share your internet over one ip, also the home network becomes more flexible instead of a hub.

The extra firewall on the router is obvious a plus,

Greetz,
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

xmaddness pretty much summed it up for you - you can definitely use a hub for sharing an Internet connection, but it will be slower than using a switch/router. Is this network that you are going to set up for home use or for business use? Actually, for either instance, I would recommend going with a router with a built-in switch. Several companies are making these products including Linksys and D-Link, both of which are quality companies. A lot of home users are using this option for their cable connection sharing, and some small businesses are using the same option. A friend of mine works for a small firm - for their Internet access, he shares a DSL connection with about 8 computers throughout the building.. I personally use the Linksys BEFSR41 router with a 4-port switch at home.
    - Maverick

Thanks people. Appreciate the help. Don't think I'll be getting a hub. I was going to use it for gaming anyways, so it probably isn't too good an idea.
    One more thing, when I look up the Dlink 604, different sites have different pictures, the one I've seen in stores is green and white, and I've seen it on a few sites too, but other supposed 604s are darker solid colors. Could anybody explain this?

Most of the people on the thread have given you good advice already. AVOID ANYTHING FROM 2WIRE. All they do is produce garbage.

Maverick, I was going to that. Basically, you can't use a hub to share an internet connection, you have to use one of the computers as a proxy server. I do not wish to do that, I'd have to leave it on all the time. Anyways, mav, I was looking at a few Dlink routers, that were in my price range. I was going to get hte BEFSR41, from a few online sites which gave me a good deal, but after some research, I found that they were all based in the US and would charge me extra for an international order, then the conversion rates, and then shipping and handling, in short, it wasn't worth it.
    I started eyeing the Dlink 604 about a week ago, looks good, can do what I need it to do, but there is one problem, people are reporting imcompatiblity with terayon modems, which is what my local cable internet company uses. 604 supposedly slows down the connection to dial-up speed, so I'm looking at other options, such as DSL, or a belkin router which looks good. The 604 has a built in switch, 4 ports, checked up on it.
    I'm going to get a router for home use, small network.
    And I am wondering why if I go on different sites, the 604s look different. Does anybody know the answer to that one?

Basically, you can't use a hub to share an internet connection, you have to use one of the computers as a proxy server
    That's not true at all.. I have 3 computers always connected with 2 more connected occasionally to the intenet threw a hub, and they all have their own connection.. and they're own IP addresses and I'm on DSL. With my cable connection I used a router when I had 1 IP, because a hub won't work if you only have 1 IP then you have to share the net. But even with my cable, i bought a second IP and have my main box direct out on it's own ip, and all the other computers threw the router onto the other IP.. Most DSL companies, and a fair number of Cable companies will give you more than on IP, so you can use a hub just fine.

Reg, read my statement carefully please. "Share an internet connection". Which means one IP, limited bandwidth, not multiple IP addresses. And cable companise give more than one IP, but it often costs, or it will come free with packages.