Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Router/Hub decision to be made

Anyways, I've got the answer to my questions. I just needed it confirmed and xmadd did that. Just one more. Please bare with me. What is the difference between RJ-45 straight and RJ45-Crossover? What do you use crossover for?

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Hi,

An RJ45 connector is a typical connector to be used in telco and ICT-world.
    It exists out of 8 wires , normally 4 colors, each full color and his partner wire white-color,
    example . bleu whit-bleu.

A Straight cable is when all 8 wires have the same places at the other side of the cable.
    A cross cable usually has 4 wires crossed, 1-2 -> 3-6 a the other side when used for 10/100BaseT - protocol ( = Ethernet). Be aware, if you have an G703 standard, you will have to use 1 and 2 for Tx , 4 and 5 for Rx, but this standard is most commonly used in Europe, and strictly in Telecom situation, such as a clean 2Mbit/s

You have always 2 pairs of wires used in such a cable , 1 and 2 are transmit , 3 and 6 are receive. It is obvious that if you work with for example an hub and router and you want to connect them you got to use a cross-cable, those machines have the same pairs for transmit and receive.you always got to couple Rx and Tx.

Most of the time you will use a straight cable, for example, between a pc and your cablemodem, between an hub and your pc, between you cablemodem and an hub.

Hoped to help you a bit,

Greetz,
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Linuxelite,

I would like to refer you to the following tutorial, it is a great tut on UTP Cables.
    cwk9 explained it better than me.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...&highlight=OSI

Hope you like it,
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

I personally use the Linksys BEFSR41 router with a 4-port switch at home.
    I've been thinking to setting up my home network comp(I have 4 comps) I have dialup at the moment but next week I will have DSL.
    So How good is "Linksys BEFSR41" I might gonna get that one...or any other good recommend routers?

ps:sorry linuxelite I use this forum to ask question...
    Not an image or image does not exist!
    Not an image or image does not exist!

OK, sorry it's takin' me a little time to get back to this thread...

linuxelite, glad you got your questions answered, but that's bad news about the DLink that you wanted to get, and about the Linksys. I'd say for gaming you'd definitely want to get a router/switch combo for sure. .: Shrekkie :. gave you some good info about cabling, I'm just going to add one thing. With a crossover cable, you can hook two PC's up directly without running through a hub/router/switch..

sweet_angel, I love the BEFSR41 - I've used it for around a year now, and it does the job perfectly, I have no complaints whatsoever. On the other hand, a few of the guys that I work with are using routers from DLink and they haven't had a bit of trouble and are impressed with those products as well. I'm sure that Belkin makes a quality router solution, I know that their other products are high quality. For home use those are the three that come to mind, and I'm sure that you would be satisfied with products from any of these three..
    - Maverick

Well, looks like I can get the 604, called up Dlink tech support, and asked, they told me the new firmware upgrade resolved my problems, and that it was listed on their support page. Very happy now, my very first network.
    Thanks to all wh helped me.
    Shrekkie, you've confused me a bit, you called crossover cable ethernet cable, but I thought that straight cable was called ethernet cable. Which do I use for plugging my comps in to the Dlink 604?

Thing is I don't think the 604 has an uplink port, so I need to sue the right cable. Which one do I use?

Never mind, just had my question answered. Googled it, sorry, should've done that first. So thanks for all the help guys (and girls).