Linux from Kindergarten to High School

Thread: Linux from Kindergarten to High School

Linux from Kindergarten to High School

This article was just too cool not to show everyone here. If only my schools had linux back when I was still there. Its definately interesting to see the ground linux is gaining all around.

As the bell rings to begin class at Greater Houlton Christian Academy, enthusiastic students sit down at their shiny, new computer workstations. In one corner, the red cabinet housing the server hums quietly as two stuffed penguins look on fondly from their perch. Other penguins keep watch from different locations as the students enter their user names and passwords to access their accounts. Ask a student who ``Tux'' is, and he or she will point to the large penguin painted on the front wall of the computer lab and say, ``He's the Linux penguin!'' About this time KDE has loaded, and young boys and girls are opening the application they need for class as easily as kicking a ball.
    You can read the full article and see the pictures with it here
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

er0k
    yeah thats really cool. i subscribe to LJ and that was in .last months mag. those kids are using the gimp at like 6 years old... its great. The admin there said the most difficult decision was moving to linux, but the easiest thing about it was the actual transformation, and how much money it saved etc. Its sad they are using kde though, should be teaching them straight up bash! j/k

Although i use MS almost exclusively, i can bank on the fact that tomorrow's well-paid IT's are going to have the Penquin on their walls. There is no doubt at all that the business world is looking for ways to cut big bucks from the expense-columns on their ledgers, and in large corporations upgrading computer systems is a significant expense. Even at the home level, people have to choose between upgrading their computing power or buying some other thing they "want". In the past 12 yrs i have spent probably 3G on software and probably 6G on hardware to keep up with the new software, and that's just for my own family use. *nix provides the *nix techie with the ability to stay on top of the power curve without breaking the budget. Once you have a reasonable box configured it can handle most of the *nix business tasks, as well as a reasonable level of graphics management. "Knowledge is power", and (s)he who has the *nix knowledge tomorrow will have the power in tomorrow's world. And you can take that to the bank!

If the penguin were a person, I'd ask him to run for president.

Silentstalker
    -{[ Joe ]}- (Joe@nitesecurity.com)
    http://www.nitesecurity.com

[shadow]I\'m Just A Soldier In This War Against Ignorance.[/shadow]

er0k
    whadya mean... the penguin isnt president?

You're right!
    -{[ Joe ]}- (Joe@nitesecurity.com)
    http://www.nitesecurity.com

[shadow]I\'m Just A Soldier In This War Against Ignorance.[/shadow]