Help with redhat 8 installation

Thread: Help with redhat 8 installation

Help with redhat 8 installation

i was trying to install redhat...it went on well till the installation screen appeared.....after that my computer hangs....the farthest i have been able to reach is till it asks me about the type of partiton i need......can anyone help me....i have redhat on a 3 cd set.....the OS i am currently using is 2kp....I have my harddrive partitioned into c,d,e &f...10 GB each.....in NTFS format.....e&f are completely empty...i want linux to be in them....so how do i go about it...thx

The Iceman Cometh
    The reason is stops when asking you which partition to use is because you cannot install Linux onto an NTFS paritition. Use the partition manager provided with Red Hat to remove the partitions for E and F. Then, let it automatically size and partition the unused space for your Red Hat installation.

AJ

Kwiep
    But don't initialize you harddisk when redhat asks you that (and it will) your partition table will be gone, wich means all your data is lost. You can get that repared, but it'll take you very very long and it fails mostly.
    Double Dutch

how do i use the partition manager..i mean the details...i am a newbie so details will be helpfull....thx in advance

The Iceman Cometh
    This should be easiest for you:

Go into Windows 2000 and open Computer Management (in Administrative Tools). Next, go to the Disk Management console. From there, delete the E and F partitions. Now you have the free space necessary to install Red Hat Linux to.

Then, go to http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/linux/ and download the Installation Guide. It will walk you through installing Red Hat, step by step. I don't think anyone's going to be able to walk you through partitioning step-by-step simply because we don't have to do it very often. Once it's set up, it's set up. The installation guide will be much more useful to you, it even has screenshots to help you.

AJ

thx...will do so...