Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your opinion on an ip-scanner

To the person who wrote telling me to provide a link for Superscan ---> ever heard of google?
    Google for it for frig's sakes. Don't be so lazy.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I have used Angry IP scanner for quite some time now. Overall, it is a good tool. More specifically, because of the way it handles threading, it becomes unstable with large port scans on class B networks (even class C at times). On the other hand, it is great for targeted scans. What I mean is if you have a small range of open ports that you want to scan for, it is grat but if you tried to scan the entire port range (1-65535) you would never get results. On top of that, it tends to drop information as you increase the port range to scan. It is also a resource hog. Fire up task manager and watch your CPU cycles go through the roof.

I find it very helpful in enumerating info on Windows boxes on the network. I also use it to quickly dig up MAC address info on wireless networks. But I want to be sure you understand that it is only acurate for small port ranges or very specific targeted sweeps.

I currently have build 2.15 and it seems much better than the 2.13 release. I have posted some feature requests to the developers but I'm sure they wont be addressed anytime soon.

For the heavy duty scans, I use NMAP.

Hope this helps out Shrekkie.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Trumpet-Eared Gentoo Freak
    Yes , Horse13,

I completely have to agree on your opinion. I use this tool mainly to maintain and troubleshoot my home and the little business network which I made, not for real scans.
    Thnx to everyone on their honest opinion.

Greetz,
    Come and check out our wargame-site @ http://www.rootcontest.org
    We chat @ irc.smdc-network.org #lobby

I have to agree with the you also, Angry ip scanner is a good tool. it's fast and does the job. of course i got my threads at 400 ms

My favorite scanner to date is Languard. So far its proven to be the most complete as it scans known vulns, shares, and has lots of options.
    http://www.gfi.com/languard/
    worth a look. Ive used angry and its ok too.
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

opsec
    Last edited by zenergi; November 25th, 2015 at 12:06 AM.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    I've had bad luck with LanGuard. It actually missed a few vulnerabilities that NESSUS jumped all over. If I had to pick one tool, either commercial or open source, I'd have to go with NESSUS.

www.nessus.org
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I will always be loyal to SuperScan 3
    just like the rest of us...

The Ip Scaner is very good Shrekkie but ip scanning is like spying on people you cant do much with a ip scanner itself but the ip adress can be used for lots of things and port scanning is when you have an ip and you want to take it one step further and find what ports are open on there computer now theres only one reason you would want both and that is to break in to a computer system.

Good Post Guy's!