1 GB of unformatted free space missing
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 GB of unformatted free space missing

1 GB of unformatted free space missing

I was trying to install & dual boot redhat on my system which had 2kp....so i deleted e & f drives which were empty using the administrative tools(c &d i alloted for 2kp).....then i tried to install redhat on this free space which was about 18.87 GB when i freed it....but the installation failed(which is an other issue i want to discuss...but later)....so now i log back into 2kp and check for the free space...it is only 17.5 gb......so where has the 1 gb of hard drive pace gone....and is there any way to get it back...thx

The Iceman Cometh
    Windows sees space differently depending what it's file system is. FAT16, FAT32, and NTFS partitions will all show slightly different sizes. Additionally, your BIOS and other operating systems will see the space differently than Windows does because they calculate space differently. Once you run through the Red Hat installation, all of the available space will be allocated.

Edit: Another possibility is that, since you said the Red Hat installation failed, is that it partly partitioned the free space, but did not complete it, accounting for the "lost" space.

AJ

so what u mean to say is there is nothing to worry about..is that it...if i foramat it back to NTSC for 2kp i shall get the 1 gb back

all you need is partition magic... download partition magic and it's set...
    \"The more you ignore me... the closer i get!\"

The Iceman Cometh
    If you format it back to NTFS (NTSC is a television standard, not a file system), it should come back. The only way it won't is if, as I said in my edit, Linux partitioned some of it, but did not complete the partitioning process. If that's the case, you will most likely need to either fdisk the drive, or use some other partition manager (if you decide not to install Linux) such as Partition Magic, but those all cost quite a bit. I'd recommend just go back and complete the Red Hat installation process and you'll be fine.

AJ

well regarding the redhat 8 installation itself.....i am not able to use the mouse(a 3 button usb) during installation...only the <enter> & <tab> are working....and that too if i use TAB too many times my system is hanging up....

The Iceman Cometh
    If you can't get the USB mouse to work during installation (which is curious... I've never had a problem with it...) just use an old PS2 mouse. Should work just fine. As for the computer freezing when you hit TAB too many times, does it do the same within Windows or just within the Red Hat installation?

AJ

no my windows is perfectly allright...just in redhat inst.....but i got through the installation by just using next.....and then after the root password was entered and the the installation began...this popped up...ERROR WHILE TRYING TO INITIALISE SWAP ON DEVICE hda8......completely clueless here..

What version of red hat are you installing? Older versions were a slut with USB sometimes and that might be a path to success lol. also, if red hat doesnt work for you, you could try mandrake, or Suse, those two are fairly good at finding things.

You have an unusual partitioning layout to begin with, and this
    is probably why the installation is giving you trouble.
    You started out with four NTFS partitions, right?
    My guess is that you had one primary partition, C,
    and then one extended partition, containing the three
    logical partitions D, E and F.

Linux would call these /dev/hda1, /dev/hda5, /dev/hda6, and /dev/hda7.
    You kept /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda5 for windows.
    You would then need to delete the other two with the linux install program,
    fdisk. You then need a swap partition, approx. the size of your ram, and at least one
    linux partition.

The fact that the install program is trying (and failing) to initialize /dev/hda8 as
    swap is puzzling. maybe you failed to create a swap partition or mis-identified it.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.